40.

Trigger warning :)

How I managed to make it out of the car and up the elevator, I didn't know but when I arrived at our floor, I was met by an empty house

Keith and Gus were gone for the weekend and I was alone, standing in the darkness of the living room, lips trembling as the entirety of what had happened slowly washed over me like a crumbling wave.

Maybe it was a good thing. This way they wouldn't witness how pathetic I looked crying over something that could have been avoided.

My bedroom was saturated in darkness when I reached it. I blinked a few times, adjusting my eyes enough to find my way to the bed and slump on it.

I grabbed a pillow and hugged it tight to my chest. My mind swirled. Visions of Reece lying battered on the floor suddenly besieged my mind, making me feel sick to the stomach.

What was I thinking? Why did I think I could pull one thing off without getting myself into trouble?

Sorrow gnawed my insides, causing hot unbidden tears to leak down my cheeks. I didn't want to cry anymore but it couldn't be helped. I pushed my head into my pillow and welcomed the gut-wrenching sobs that tore in and out of my chest.

I felt so many emotions coursing through my bloodstream all at once. I was angry at Reece for kissing me like that, I was mad at Tristan for charging in the way he did, and I hated myself even more for making stupid decisions. I felt so much anger and hurt and regret that I just wanted to scream out at the top of my lungs.

I'd thought coming to New York would break the spell of misfortune that haunted me for years, but it didn't. My bad luck still remained. It lingered, following me everywhere I went.

Pain twisted in my chest. My sobs came out strangled. I squeezed the pillow tighter and I wept into it. It was my fault, I caused this. I was stupid. I was so stupid. If I hadn't agreed then none of this would have happened. I didn't know Tristan would care. Why did he care? He never did. Why now?

My phone rang. When I looked, it was a call from my mother, and seeing her name appear on my front screen along with a photo of her smiling made me cry even more. A disappointment, that's what I was. I powered my phone off and tossed it into my drawer. I couldn't speak to her. Not when I was like this.

I lost track of time as I laid there, crying into my pillow, wishing there was a way to rescind my careless decision and erase the last twenty-four hours of my life, and it wasn't until my stomach roiled with the need to vomit that I got up and dashed to the bathroom.

I skidded to my knees by the toilet and heaved into it. The smell of champagne and fish oozing out of my throat made me heave even more. When it felt like I'd emptied all the filth in my stomach, I got up and flushed the toilet, watching my bile mix with the water.