12.

It's night

It's night. The sky is dark and twinkling with stars. I sit by the open window, playing with Willy's white fur. He's cooing in my arms. He likes the way I brush his fur. I smile. He's my friend, my only friend, I smile brighter but my smile disappears when she enters.

"There's my favorite boy..."

Willy starts whimpering; like he's scared of her too. He jumps from my lap and runs away. I get up. I want to run with him, but she grabs my hand and pulls me with her.

She's taking me to her painting room. I don't like her painting room.

My heart starts to beat faster. I cry out, but she doesn't listen. She drags me along. We cross to the east side of the mansion. The bulb in the painting room is on, there's painting all around us, and there's a small bed on the floor, beside her thick black whip.

She kneels in front of me, pulling my sweater over my head. She smiles at my scars, running her fingers over them. "You're beautiful, my little one." She looks at the bed, smiling. "Lie down."

I shake my head, stepping back. I hug myself. I want to run. I want to run. "No."

Her smile is gone. She's angry now. "Come here."

I shake my head, moving back. "No."

Growling, she catches my hand and jerks me to the floor. My body hits the ground, and I cry out, but she covers my mouth.

"Shh..." She sings, smiling as I shiver and shake. "I'll take care of you, my little one."

"No...no." I shut my eyes, struggling. "No, no."

"Shh..." She sings again, stroking my cheeks. "You're safe." Her hands find my shorts, and she pulls them down.

"No..." I whimper.

Stop...

Stop!

I jolted awake with a startled cry.

Madeleine.

Panic shot into my bloodstream. My heart shriveled, thudding heavily in the pit of my stomach. Disoriented, I clambered out of bed and raced through the darkness to my bathroom.

Where is it?

I staggered towards the medicine cabinet. The room felt too small, the air too thin. I couldn't breathe.

Where the hell is it?!

My hands trembled as I reached for the medicine cabinet and blindly tore through bottles and boxes, searching. Where? Where?! I was gasping. My lungs were squeezed tight. The air felt too empty of oxygen. My throat was sore, and my chest ached, growing tighter and tighter.

Why can't I find it?!

Cold sweat coated my skin. The room spun. My trembling hands struggled to find solid ground. Finally, they did, and my fingers uncovered the familiar container.