43.

The wind blowing in Manhattan tonight was icy and crippling, harbingering the impending storm that the weather forecaster had once again predicted, and I was starting to regret why I had stepped out of the house without as much as a coat

I paced the sidewalk, shivering, my eyes on my cell phone clock as I counted the minutes that had gone by since I last sent Stefan a text.

The movie was about to air and he still wasn't anywhere to be found. It got me aggravated because I'd arrived here twenty minutes earlier and had been pacing around the arena like a maniac since.

Thank God I'd opted for my sneakers instead of those Louboutin torture devices. That seemed to be the only highlight of my night.

Frustrated, I counted to three in my head before speed-dialing him again.

The number you're trying to call...

Aw, shit.

I pulled the phone away from my ear and let out a thwarted breath. At this point, I was starting to lose my shit. What the hell was going on?

I shot him another quick text.

Sienna: Stefan where are you?? I still don't see you. It's starting to get really cold out here and I need to go inside but they won't let me because I have no tickets yet.

Three minutes, no reply. My messages were left on one tick.

I stopped pacing for a moment and glanced impatiently at the crowd trudging into the arena. I could not see him. A chilly wind blew past, leaving goosebumps on my skin in its wake. I rubbed my arms and started to pace again.

Think rationally, Sienna. I urged myself.

Maybe he was running late, maybe there was traffic on the way or something.

I stared at my phone screen and exhaled rashly. Well if that was the case then he would have at least called.

Right?

My fingers tightened around my phone. Fuck this. I called him again. It went straight to voicemail. My chest tightened with disappointment. I recorded.

"Some gentleman you are Stefan! It's a million degrees out here and I've been waiting my ass off. If you're not going to show up, the least you can do is reply to my text or pick up my calls and tell me. I deserve an explanation!"

The moment I stopped fuming, I immediately felt guilty. Okay, maybe that was a little too harsh. Maybe he had an emergency. Crap, I ran my hand over my forehead and through my hair. He better have a good reason for treating me this way. I recorded again.

"Okay, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell at you like that but say something okay, I'm honestly worried and my feet are starting to hurt and it looks like it's going to rain anytime-"