Chapter 33

"I wanna go next!" Amara begged throwing her hands up in the air. The crowd of children were chanting to be the next one.

I sat Callum back into the ground. "You will all need to wait your turn, but I heard Amara first."

Most of the other kids whine. "Amara's your favorite, isn't she, Mother?" Gren complained.

I sorta froze at that one word. Title? Yeah more of a title. Sure I watched over the kids, made sure they ate, played with them, taught them things, over all just made sure they were happy. They were orphans, and someone needed to, that didn't mean I was their mother though, right? It's only been a week.

I needed to go and process that. "Oh I hear Gwen calling me," I proclaimed as an excuse to get out of the situation.

"I don't hear her," little Claire declared.

I crouched down to be closer to her eye level. "I have much better hearing than you," I reminded her. With but a little bit of my magic flower sprouted all around them to keep the children occupied for some time.

With a single flap of my wings I soared above them, higher than I'd dare to take any of them. I glided back down to the entrance of the castle. I noticed Adrian and Greta having a petty argument just to the side and floated down next to them.

"It's very human of you," Greta finished as I landed both feet on the ground.

"He is quite human," I agreed.

Adrian sighed and stood up. "You're one to talk," he retorted. I just stuck my tongue out at him.

"Yeah, what are you?" Greta asked, "I don't mean to be rude, but your obviously not fully human."

Adrian gave me a look I knew held some worry, but also some reassurance. He never did learn that I knew what I was, well what I had been.

"I don't know," I proudly confessed, "and frankly I don't really care." I smiled to the two of them, not so frightened to show them my teeth any more.

All of us looked up as we heard someone leaving the castle. Only one person would be doing so this time of day, Sypha. Both Alucard and I went to approach her. "Be gentle, she hasn't talked to anyone in two weeks," Greta reminded the two of us.

"Not like I haven't tried," I mumbled and went to get to her.

I was quickly standing right in front of her. Our eye locked, yet I could find nothing to say. I just took the few steps that separated us and gave her a hug. A soft comforting hug I've been wanting to give her for days. While she didn't reciprocate it, she did lean into it.

"Sypha," Adrian called out to her, as I released her from my hold.

"Hello," she responded, trying to hold back all the emotions. I stayed close to her, letting her now I was physically there for her. "Can you spare a horse?"

"Why?" I questioned. I could only hope she wasn't leaving.

Her gaze on me turned a hint of sad. "I'm gonna do what Trevor and I orignialy planned to do," she sighed and continued down the stairs. "Rejoin my caravan."

Adrian and I just calmly watch her. "You know you're very welcome here," he reminded her. Trying to make her stay without forcing her two. We didn't want her to be alone.

"Thank you," she paused in her walking. "But I am also very definitely pregnant."

Adrian was slightly surprised by the news, not like there were plenty of obvious clues showing that she was. I nudged him with my elbow.

"And I should be with my people," she said like she was convincing everyone including herself. "And my people are well practiced in giving a woman support when it comes time. If I could just get a horse."