Chapter 19

The night was the same as the others. We were sitting in a study, sipping what was left of our wine from dinner, conversing to pass the time. "May I ask, why do you have an instrument with your things?" Adrien asked me from his spot on the other end of the couch.

"Oh," I took a quick sip of the white wine "I play it for money." He looked at me with confusion. I let out an awkward laugh. "Yeah, not many people expect me to be able to play. But I won it in a card game, I thought I was gonna sell it for money, but it made sense to me. I could easily play."

"So we can add music to the list of your abilities," he joked, leaning back into the cushions. "But it dose raise my curiosity, would you play me something?"

I shrugged, "Okay," I sat my glass down on the side table. "Let me go get it." I returned with my lute in my hands. As I returned I had been tuning it, so it would be ready for playing.

As I entered the library my cheeks grew warm, and I grew flustered. "I don't know what to play," I confessed, as I sat back down.

"Why don't you play your favorite?" Adrien offed. That only caused me to become more confused. I didn't have a set favorite. "I don't know much about music, so I won't notice if you mess up."

I took a deep breath and started strumming the first song that come to mind. I glanced over to the dhampire to see he had leaned back and closed his eyes, relaxing to the strum of my lute.

" There will come a soilder. Who carries a mighty sword, "I started singing. In the corner of my eye, I noticed Adrien had sat up at the should of my voice. I curled in on my lute. While not proper posture, I wanted to be less noticeable.

Yet I continued on." There will come a poet. Whose weapon is their word."The more I sang the stronger my voice became. Despite the fact that I was feeling less confident as I went." There will come a king. Whose brow is laid with thorns. " I strummed the last few cords, before rushing to set down my instrument.

" I wasn't aware you would be singing as well," Adrien confessed with a rush sip of his wine.

I quickly took a large one myself. "What? You think I would have someone travel with me to sing while I play?" I scoffed. Like anyone would ever want to travel with me.

There was a pregnant pause. "You traveled alone?" he questioned, almost silently.

I nodded. "I was fine, i mean I could kill the most dangerous things in the world by the time I was five," I reminded him.

"When did you emget ostricised from the Belmont family?" Adrien asked, this time our of curiosity and not worried.

I held my glass to my lips, "Six," I informed him nonchalantly. I got startled by the sound of him gagging.

"You were just a child," he sputtered out.

"But not human," I joked. "One out weighed the other to them. They did just get shut out by the Chruch. I personally don't see the big deal, but appeariently there is on."

I hadn't realized he had gotten so close, and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "How did you survive?" he asked with wondermental worry.

I bit my lip and shrugged. "Monster hunting, for the start. I had a mentor for a while, Witch, burned at the stake. Then odd jobs, preforming, hunting. Anything to earn coin. Got used to sleeping in the woods. Tamed a horse. Never stayed anywhere too long."

"You must have had a hard life," Alucard commented, his voice far oof.

I sipped the alcoholic beverage in my hand. "It's what I got. You don't get to choose the circumstances you're given."

"What about your parents?" he continued to question, "They never tried to find you?"

"Brought to the Belmont as a baby, by nuns," I reminded him, "Sorta had none."

"Nuns?" he asked, confused more than his previous worries.

I smirked, "Appeariently I glowed when I was a baby, didn't want a glowing nun,"I informed him, "Not like I could ever pull off being a nun."

"Far too violent," Alucard agreed.

I snorted in agreement, "I was thinking other reasons, but that is true. It's easier to punch things than people tend to think."

"Indeed, a Belmont," Adrian hummed to himself.

I pushed his shoulder. "Hey, is that meant to be an insult," I whined to him.

He gave off a slight smirk. "If this is your natural nature, the nuns chose a good house to give you to," he joked.I rolled my eyes, and leaned into the arm rest.

There was a small silence between the two of us. "If I gotta choose, I'd say a baker," I confessed, having golden orbs glance at me. "The life. Simple, and hardworking. Live in a good village, or even a city. Bake fresh bread every morning, have enough money to safely by three meals a day. Kneeding is also pretty fun."

"I've never given it any thought," Alucard sighed, "Up until...." I reached over and placed a hand on his shoulder. "I was content with my life. There was no reason for me to think of a different one."

I took the last swig of my wine. "Want me to play another song?" I asked, "I know some sea shanties from my time in the docks."

Mild surprise grazed his eyes. "Where haven't you been?" Adrien asked me with ammusement.

I settled in with my lute. "The new world," I joked, "Why not see the world, while it's right in front of ya?" A far off look graced his eyes. I've learned what that meant. He was thinking back to his mother.