Chapter 23

We both needed time to calm down. This is what led me to being face down into the bed I had been sleeping in recently. I didn't want to think but that was all I was doing. I would give anything to turn off my mind even for a minuet.

Yet I thought. Wondering what love was? I never experienced something before. I was raised as a pet, as a tool. I got rewarded for following instructions, not love. From Trevor, it was more like familiarity and acceptance. We knew each other, very well, so we put up with each other. Even my mentor of all but a few months, was doing it out of potty, that was so obvious. He even said so to my face.

I never had anyone truly close to me until now. I kept it that way. I didn't like getting to close to people. I was a freak. I wasn't human, but I didn't even know what I was. I was raised to hunt monsters, and is what I do best. Then my fear of fire, while understandable if you know my circumstances, yet I can't share them. I could never stay anywhere for too long, in case of suspicions. Even my horse, I accepted that one day Gal wouldn't come when I called for him.

I was so used to being in my own, I didn't know what to do when so one wanted to be with me.

My thoughts were interupted there was a knock on the door. Obviously it could only be one person. "Are you ready to talk?" he asked through the door.

"I don't know," I confessed, through the pillow. The shallow creek of the door let me know he was coming in. I stayed in my face down position, even when he sat on the edge of the bed. He just sat there quietly.

With a huff, I sat up, knowing we needed to talk, and better sooner rather an later. Still we just sat there in silence. "I don't know what love is," I confessed. Golden eyes look at me in surprise. I sucked in sharply to try and stop the tears. "I have never been loved. The Belmonts didn't, and I have been in my own ever since, moving to avoid suspicion... I've never had the chance to be loved, or love." Nothing could stop the years from falling. "Honestly I don't see how... anyone... could...," I tried to finish my thoughts through the sobs.

Adrian crawled across the bed to me, pulling me into his arms. I instantly wrapped my arms around him, and continued to sob. He only held me tighter, and rubbed my back, letting me cry it all out.

It wasn't until my sobs grew quiet did he speak. "Then let me show you," he offered calmly. "I'll teach you what it's like to be loved." He still had his arms around me.

"I don't want to cause you any pain," I told him, trying to return to having our own space. Adrian wouldn't let me out of his arms, still keeping his hands on my waist.

"I'll do anything for you Grace," he proclaimed, his grip on me growing tighter. "I know you don't think anyone could love you. But I do. I don't care what you are. It's who you are that I love. I'll do anything to show you."

The blind instant pulled me close as I could get, which was sitting on his lap.he leaned down to touch our foreheads together. "Will you let me?" he asked of me.

I stared deep into his golden eyes. Those honey pools, with flecks of glitter. They shone so brightly, just like the sun. They were pleading with me, so sincerely. I could get lost in them for an eternity.

I could try.

The distance between us disappeared. Our lips touched. His was so soft, and I could feel his fangs behind them. Surely it had to be odd, but the entire experience was odd to me. There we stayed, our lips locked, moving in synchronization.

We only split once we needed to breath. Adrian barely paused. The next moment he recaptured my lips. This one wasn't as sweet as the last. It was deeper, and quicker. He quickly pulled away with a gasp between the two of us. He lips trailed down my chin to my neck. His hands also moved to the hem of my tunic.

My eyes widened in realization. I quickly pushed against him. "Adrian," I called out to him. He froze and looked me in the eyes. "I'm not ready for that," I told him, trying to hide my blush behind my hand. I was scared he was going to be angry.

He gave me a smile. "If course," he assured me. A small kiss landed in my cheek. "We'll take it slow."

I grabbed onto his hand and squeezed. "Thank you," I sighed.

With a sigh Adrian flopped over to be lying down, and took me with him. "Have I ever told you, you're beautiful," he whispered, as he brushed the stray hair out of my face.

I buried my face into the mattress. "Thinking back, yea," I confessed. I was trying to act like I used to around him. But it wasn't the same any more, I wasn't sure exactly what to do anymore.

He kept his hand on the side of my head, stroking my cheek with his hand. "Thank you for staying," Adrian sighed. "Thank you for... caring for me."

I reached out to hold him similarly as he was me. "There's nothing you need to thank me for," I assured him.

"I don't know how I'd be if I was all alone," he confessed, "I feel your company has kept me sane."

I snorted, "That's worry some," I laughed, "Plenty call me crazy."

"Well I wouldn't say jumping into a giant pit isn't something a sane person would do," he agreed with me.

We continued to talk calmly through the night. I didn't even notice that I had fallen asleep, until I woke up.