Chapter 3

So far I had managed to buy three loaves of bread and two pounds of apples. Both overcharged. I didn't fight over it though, knowing there was much worse thing they could do. I was currently at the butcher greeting a pound of dried ham. I was sure that would be enough.

Until a thought hit me. Alucard was a vampire, he'd probably need blood. And I would prefer it not be any of us. I remember learning that vampires will, and can drink any type of blood, that includes animals.

The butcher handed me the wrapped ham, glaring at me beneath his eyebrows. "I was also wondering if I could purchase some pig's blood?" I questioned, with an innocent smile on my face.

His glare only got sharper. I could see the thoughts going through his head. I just fell from the edge I was teetering on. "5 gold pieces," he grumbled. I should at least see the transaction through, then rush back before anything happens. I slipped the last of my gold pieces on the counter.

The butcher took the pieces and lumbered to the back room. By two minutes I was anxiously tapping my foot. It was only one minute more before he came back with a Mason jar of a thick red liquid.

I just pried it from his hand and ran out of the store. The door hadn't even closed before I heard footsteps coming. I was slowly working up to a run, as to not gain the attention of the ignorant. Just one glance behind at the mob and another appeared in front of me. I ran face first into the chest of a villager, collapsing back to the ground, and my basket of food flew out of reach.

"Get the witch!" the yell broke through the air. I couldn't fight back. It would just prove them right. I just have to take it. I just curled into the fetal position, taking all thrown at me. From rocks to pitchforks. I took it all, holding back both retaliation and sound. Suddenly there was a snap tug at my hair, causing me to gasp out in pain. With a slice, the pain was gone and my face was slammed back in the dirt.

I was halfway to dead by the time they had their full. I painful sat up, feeling everywhere I was stabbed, cut, and bludgeoned. Something warm came into my mouth, as a sharp pain wracked my chest. I coughed, sending painful shivers and spikes through my body, and the crimson fluid of blood fell from the lips to the ground.

I focused on all the fractures and ruptures, taking in the pain as I made it subside faster than it would naturally. One of the better powers of not being human, quick healing, both natural and forcefully. Most would believe the experience of healing quickly would be quite painful, but they couldn't be more wrong. It was like a warm hug everywhere you were getting healed. In some cases, it does get a bit tight, but not worse than the injury itself.

I attempted to stand, only to crash back down to my knees. Suddenly a hand was reaching out to me. I looked up to find a familiar cloak, my cloak. I took the woman's hand and let her help me stand. "Why would they do this to you?" she asked in fear and curiosity.

I sighed, as I inspected a gash in my arm. "It's a story no one would want to know," I sighed, trying to pinch my skin back together. I would need to give myself stitches before healing that one.

"I wish there was more I could do," the woman said, handing me the basket of food. I smiled and took it from her. At least the travel wasn't pointless. With another share of thank yous, we finally parted ways as I returned to the Belmont Runes. Galavant seemed to have noticed my state and was going even fast that his top speed. Loyalty does amazing things.

I couldn't jump down the stairs, so walking the took quite some time. "I'm back," I called out as I stepped onto the bottom floor. There was no one in sight, and I was glad. I sat the basket on a shelf before shuffling off to find my bag, which would have the proper medical supplies.

I turned to find someone directly behind me. I let out a yelp. I was used to sneaking up on people, but not people sneaking up on me. The blond suddenly pinned me against the shelf. His eyes were solely focused on the large gash in my arm, which was still bleeding. I was an idiot, coming into a place with a vampire, as I was bleeding. I let out a sigh, more in anger against myself than anything else. I just picked up my foot, and harshly kicked him in the side with my heel. He let out a grunt and let me go.

"Sorry," I told him before going off. I quickly grabbed my bag and rushed to a far part of the library. When I was done all that was left was a cut lip, bruised and cut cheek, and the gash on my arm, which was properly wrapped. 

I was climbing down a ladder when I felt someone approach me from behind. "Vendta," Trevor sighed from behind me.

I jumped down and faced him with a smile. "Trevor," I responded jokingly. His look didn't soften. But it wasn't one of anger, but of concern.

He reached out and touched my hair, obviously noting how my long braid was now a short bob. Obviously, he knew what happened. "What happened to your cloak?" the question.

I looked to the floor and shrugged, "I gave it to a refugee, the need it more than me." I heard him groan, but I didn't look at him. I turned and went else where, to conitune prepair. 

He still followed me though. "And I take it you didn't fight back?" he sighed, picking up my injured arm." I flinched and pulled it away.

"If I would have, it would have just justified their actions," I reminded him. "Besides, I thought you didn't care about what happened to me." I pulled out a random book, trying to look busy so he would leave me alone.

A heavy weight came down on my head, could his hand get any bigger? "Just cause I don't see you as a sister, doesn't mean I don't care about you<' he reminded me.

I rolled my eyes. "What am I then?"

"A friend."