Chapter 38

There were a lot of signs. From either being tired all the time or incapable of sitting down. The random body pains. How everything just tasted off, and sometimes I didn't even want to eat. It was the mood that gave it away. I was constantly angry.

That evening Trevor and Sypha were visiting. While they still lived in Trefor, we didn't see them often. They've grown quite a bit. Their hair was now gray, and their skin starting to lose elasticity. Haylen left years ago to set off on his own life, only returning every few years, and sending letters once in a while. The last time we saw him he had gotten married, and apparently, they were now expecting. I'm sure the reason the two didn't visit often is because of Adrian and I being ageless, still looking the same as the day Haylen was born. While it was our reality, it had to be hard for them to accept.

Something about that news ate at me. The fact Trevor and Sypha might never meet their grandchild. While the conversation moved on, my mind wouldn't. "You're quiet," Trevor noted.

I practically threw down my wine glass. " I don't get it!" I confessed, " Why won't he come back?"

"Deta," Sypha sighed, "He's a grown adult, we can't force him to do anything."

I slammed my hands on the table. "I'm not saying he should move back here, he should just come to visit, you have the right to meet your grandchild," I pointed out.

"He has a life, he can't up and leave for an extended period of time," Trevor reminded me, "Not of us can fly like you."

I stood up from the table. "Fine, I'll go get him." My wings were already twitching with the excitement of flight.

"Grace," Adrian calmly called out to me.

I threw myself back into my chair. "I'm doing it again, aren't I?" I questioned with a groan. I didn't need anyone to answer, for I already knew what it was. 

"Are you alright?" Sypha questioned.

I leaned forward to rest my elbows on the table. "Just angry all the time," I complained.

"Doesn't help her ever-constant restlessness?" Adrian added. "I fear what she would do if there was bad news and I'm not there to stoping her from flying off to right wrongs she had no business in."

I gave him a smirk, "And I don't know how you can sit around all day."

Sypha had a glint in her eye that meant she had an idea. "So irritability, restlessness, and I can guess your taste is off from how little you ate, or that is because of nauseousness. Do you happen to have body aches as well?" I gave her a strange look. "I'm guessing I am right." Sypha has not changed a bit. She may have matured, but definitely not changed.

"You're not wrong," I mumbled, leaning back into the chair I sat in.

I didn't trust that look she was earing, but she had a good guess on what was going on with me. "When was your last menstruation?" she asked without hesitation. The entire room grew still and silent, all of us knowing what she was implying.

I couldn't give them the truth. Cause I honestly didn't know. It was very irregular, not getting it for months at a time. I had a couple of theories as to why. One being the fact my body went through many physical changes, that my body is no longer fully human. The other was that Michael experienced one, and proceeded to mess with it with magic to make it stop. I never tried to put a pattern to it, just dealt with it when it came around. 

Only one thing came to mind to say. "Fuck."

"Grace?" Adrian asked with hesitance, "Are you...?"

I sucked in a deep breath. "More than likely."

- * -

None of us expected it. He was healthy as he could be. Yet I stood over his grave, for real this time. The sickness was quick to come on, and before we could even figure out what it was, he was too far gone. If anything good came from it, Haylen came back. 

I had expected a large crowd. Trevor had saved the world twice and helped found this very town. Yet the only ones at his funeral were us: Sypha, Haylen, his wife Samara, Greta, Adrian, and myself. Now crowds or parades in his honor. The sky didn't even grant him a drop of rain, instead, it was one of the best days of fall. 

It was Haylen and I who stayed by Sypha's side through it all, being the ones to comfort her and be a shoulder to cry one. I was surprised I had yet to cry, while yes I was sad, there were no fears.  I figured it was years ago I had accepted that my brother and my best friend were going to dye long before I showed a single wrinkle. It is hard to be upset about something you were expecting to happen. Adrian had to be the same, while more stoic than usual, no tears graced his face.

When everyone else started leaving, to go to Sypha's house for the evening the two of us stayed back for a second. I slipped my hand out of my cloak to grab his own. You could see my large stomach now, no longer hidden with my wings. While Samara was further along by a couple of months, I was visibly pregnant. "Everything alright?" I asked him.

"Everything is changing," he commented calmly, hiding all his emotions.

I knew how he was feeling and held his hand tighter. "I know," I agreed with a sigh, "That's what things do." His grip on my hand grew tighter. "But I'm still here, and I'm going to stay here. Now let's go enjoy some time with our friends, while they are still here."

With our hands still together we went to join the others. "We are not going to forget them," Adrian assured me.

I nodded. "Never," I agreed, "But we're not naming our kid Trevor." Adrian scoffed at my comment, which was an ongoing joke between the four, now three of us.

- * - 

I was woken up by giggles, promptly followed by a foot to the gut. "Wake up Mommy," Laila giggled out. I rolled over to grab the girl and pull her into my chest. 

"Sweety, if you are up before me, you have to be up before the sun," I told her, lightly kissing the little girl's forehead. I kept her restricted in my arms. I didn't need her flying up and falling on me again. While she had not been born with wings, once she was old enough they popped out. Like I once was able to, she could have them disappear. She was at a phase where she wanted to match me and had them out constantly.

A pair of arms slipped under me and pulled me out of need, bringing Laila with me. Her loud giggles making it hard for me to fall back asleep. An energizing kiss was placed on my lips, waking me up fullying. "It's the night of the meteor shower Love," Adrian told me.

I curled into his chest, still holding our young daughter in my arms. "Cant you two watch it without me," I pleaded, feeling tired from a long day playing with Laila and a late evening of reading with Adrian.

Laila pouted, shifting her weight in my arms. "We promised to watch it together," she cried out. I looked down at her with a smile. She had her father's golden hair, but my green eyes. None would guess her non-human heritage if you ignored the fangs that were coming in.

"Alright," I sighed, "If your father would put me down, we can head out to watch them before we miss anything."

Adrian just adjusted his hold on me to be more secure. "Can't I carry my girls?"

I glared up at him. "Adrian if you don't put me down this second," I threatened him, without even telling him what I would do. With but a chuckle he set me down on my own two feet. "Thank you, Darling."

He plucked Laila from my arms and settled her in one of his own. "Of course Love," he landed down to give me a kiss, which I gladly returned. he slipped his free hand into my own and led me out to the balcony he had all set up.

- The End-