Chapter 36

I was a part of a crowd that was looking at diagrams on how to build different houses. Only so many carpenters had survived, so they needed a way to easily teach the others how to build houses. Building this village was a community effort.

How to build one seemed pretty easy to understand. I took a step back from everyone, and started observing all the materials that had been gathered. I raised up my hand, and they started glowing. All the moving materials gave off a small flow as well. Thanks to my magic a house was built in matter of moments.

Everyone stopped and looked at me. "What?" I questioned. It wasn't like I tried to hide my magic. Sure so far I had really only shown off growing flowers and healing.

Greta walked up to me and put a hand on my shoulder. "I know you are trying to help," she assured me, "But to all of them, it is a short cut. There's something much more satisfying building everything together."

"Oh," I said plainly. I understood what she meant, but my magic was one of their resources. Many loved in tent, and using my magic would build everything a lot quicker. But they might become dependent on me then. "Do you want me to take this one down?" I asked.

"Leave it," Greta told me with a pat on my shoulder. "It looks to be structurely should, there is no reason to be rid of it." She then returned to the group of builders. Something told me I should just leave it all up to them.

Yet I couldn't do nothing. I've always been in motion, so just sitting around wasn't in my skill set.

- * -

I walked into the room, carrying a stack of books. They were all for studying magic, and with Sypha being less capable of physical labor now that she was further along in her pregnancy, we decided to study together. More so for someone to keep her occupied as to stop her from trying to do physical labor. This and watching over the Orphans, who still called me Mother pretty often.

I almost dropped the stack of books, as Sypha was crying. "What's wrong," I asked, practically vaulting over the back of the couch.

"It'.... just..." she started to try to formulate words through her sobs, but it was not going well. I sat down the book and slid down to sit next to her. "You... not..."

I started rubbing circles in her back. "Ssshhh," I hushed her, "Let's calm down first, then we'll talk."

Sypha softly nodded her head. I'd been told by Trevor about Sypha's mood swings, but I never had experienced one yet myself. After a few minuets of deep breath Sypha no longer had tears running down her face.

"Sorry," she apologized even though she did not need to. "Just the thought of you never having children was too much."

I tried not to scoff at the idea. I wasn't ready for children, wasn't going to be for a while. "Why is that?" I asked out of amusement.

"Everyone sees how the two of you care so much for the children. There would be no doubt you and Alucard would make great parents. But are you even able to ha e kids?" she wondered out loud. "Like how a mile can be born, but can't breed. You both aren't fully human."

"Well I'm sure there will always be orphan that will need a home," I pointed out with a shrug. If we couldn't have a kid, there was a kid who'd need parents.

Sypha looked sad at the thought. "But you both would watch them grow old and need to bury them, without aging a day," she pointed out.

I knew it was a sad thought, but there were sadder ones. "We don't know what I am, or how long I'll live, I might die some day not too far off," I commented, trying not to think to deeply on that possibility.

"Deta," Sypha sighed, "You have fangs. Some part of you is a vampire, you'll live as one." We all had different ideas about what exactly I was, well mixed of anyways. What we could agree on is the amount of me that was human was quite small.

"So, well have eternity to figure out that kid thing," I told her with a smirk, changing the topic back to where it started. "Now, magic shit." Sypha scoffed at my obvious changes of topics.

- * -

"Of course this is where you are," Adrian sighed, leaning against the door way.

I gave him a sideways glance. "We promised we'd take care of him," I reminded him.

Adrian sighed and stepped into the room. "No, they told us to take care of him and ran off for a couple days," he corrected me.

I let out a soft groan Haylen was asleep in my arms. "Why didn't they just let us go?" I questioned. "It's a trip is for the village, which is sorta our project. Or if it's cause of other reasons, send Greta."

Adrian snickered at my change in attitude. "Well I sorta asked for it, always saying Id spend time watching him," I resigned to my position. I looked down at the baby. He was coming up on eleven months. He had Trevor's hair but Sypha's eyes. "And they missed him crawling for the first time." I flaunted.

Now I was sure Haylen was going to sleep for at least a couple hours. Which meant I could out him in his crib.

I met Adrian where he stood watching and slipped my arms around his waist. "How are you so good with kids?" he questioned, clearly amused by it.

I smirked up at him, and leaned up against him. "Well some say I am one," I pointed out with a smirk. "But I think it's just in my nature."

Adrian smiled down at me, and wrapped his own arms around my own waist. "Quite a lovely nature," he whispered and leaned in to kiss me.