Chapter 36: Weight On Your Shoulders

I stayed where I was for what felt like an eternity. I couldn't see anything, I couldn't feel anything. The once warm presence of the village once again felt like the day of the attack, cold. I lost them, my second family. I lost them again. 

I couldn't feel Eri's presence, or my grandma. Where were they?

I didn't even know if I was calling out for them, everything was in a haze, but I did try. I stumbled to my feet, the blood loss slowly weighing down on me. I stumbled to where I remembered was my house, slamming the door open. 

"Eri? Grandma!" I called, receiving no answer from either of them. I listened as closely as I could, not even the creaks of floorboards or cracking of the fireplace. It was silent, something that I've grown to hate over the last few years. 

Did heroes raid here once we left for the mission? That had to be the only possibility. 

I fell to the ground after another jolt of pain made me feel dizzy. 

What the hell was the point in all of this, everything that I've done? It all ended the same. Everything being taken away from me again, was I never allowed to have a family in the first place? 

"I'm sorry, mom, dad, Akai, Jupiter. I failed you and everyone else, again" I whispered, my eyes burning from both blindness and a urge for tears. 

I don't remember the last time I cried. I never had a reason to, I went through that terrible pain, I thought I would be strong enough to never have to cry again. 

I almost forgot how painful this feeling was, and it was washing over me tenfold all over again. 

"Expand your eyes to Infinity, and you'll have as many possibilities." 

My grandma's voice echoed through my head. I sat up a bit, slowly rising to my feet before limping out the door once again. I walked all the way to the memorial I had made after the attack, falling to me knees when I finally reached it. 

I felt my eyes start to burn again, as I willed six eyes to activate. I saw nothing, but I kept trying, the pain increasing. 

I made no sound of pain, taking deep breaths as I tried to focus on nothing specific. I felt six eyes expanding all around me, expanding far beyond to what the human eye was capable of seeing.

And like the flick of a switch, images
appeared before me as if my vision had never left me in the first place. 

"Y/N" 

I looked towards the voices, my mom standing in front of me. She had a gentle look on her face, like she always did. She had her favor kimono on, she was wearing it the day she was killed.

"...mom" I whispered, not moving an inch out of fear of her disappearing. It felt real, not fake like my occasional dreams of the attack never happening, and us still living here in peace. Dad walked beside mother, smiling at me. 

"Took you long enough!" Akai shouted, walking towards me and putting his hand atop my head, messing with my hair like he used to. "Finally figured it out, I was beginning to lose hope in ya!" He ranted, Bailey came scurrying with his tail wagging wildly. 

"You cried yesterday about Y/N not being able to see you, Akai" Jupiter intervened, smiling at her little brother. 

"Jupiter, how can you betray me in such a way?" Akai asked, looking away with an embaressed blush. Because he was indeed, in tears the day before because he couldn't have his brotherly talk with his little brother. 

I was rendered speechless. They stood there and bickered like nothing happened, like they didn't get brutally murdered. Why weren't they mad? Why weren't they shouting at me, cursing me for being the reason they all died? And in the moment, I could only say what came to my mind first. 

"I'm sorry-" I started but was cut off when my mother kneeled in front of me and threw her arms around me, bringing me into a hug. 

"Don't you dare apologize for something you had no control over" she cried, hugging tighter. 

"You were five years old, Y/N. You weren't the one who killed us" Akai reassured, sitting beside me. 

"But, they attacked because you protected me" I cracked out, hugging my mom back. 

"That was a choice that we made, we knew you had to escape that day" my dad said, putting his hand on my shoulder. 

"You're our hope and pride, Y/N. My baby brother grew up to be so strong, just like you promised you would" Jupiter spoke out, standing behind Akai. 

"You loon tired, Y/N" mom said softly, pulling back to look at my face. 

"I am tired" I said with an exhausted nod. 

"You've been working so hard, you never rest" Jupiter said, looking at me worriedly. 

"I can't rest until they're dead" I said, before looking at their concerned expressions. 

"You have to stop carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders. We won't mind you resting for a bit" mom soothed. 

"That seems so wrong to do. You've all been stuck here, and I've changed nothing at all" I explained, running my hands through my hair out of stress. 

"That's not true" Akai countered. 

"Those heroes would only look at us as a supplier for a weapon for their using. You fought everyday, and people are starting to listen to you. They're looking at us through you now, you've made us so proud" dad explained, standing there with his hands in his pockets. 

"Your plan is working, Y/N" Jupiter encouraged. 

"You just have to come up with something to gain the upper hand again. You just have to think" Akai said.

"The plan was to reveal the past during Endeavour's speech, but it was a trap. I lost everyone" 

"....Even Nacho?" Akai asked, earning himself a nudge by Jupiter. 

"Something like this should be nothing more than trivial to you. Because you always think of something better when there's a setback on the original plan. So, what are you gonna do about it?" Jupiter continued, smiling. 

"...I'm gonna get them all back. I'm going to kill the heroes, and let the world know our story. So we will never be forgotten" I answered. 

"Good, we're all standing in your corner" Akai said. The rest of the village appeared behind them, smiling at me, some holding their children, some kids running around like they never left. 

"Now, time to show you a technique I didn't have time to show you" dad said, stepping towards me. 

I looked at him curiously.

"The Reverse Cursed Technique." 

It was time, to make an all new plan. I was bringing the hero society down to the ground, this war....

I'll win.