14 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲

chapter fourteen, our chance — act two, the anger__________________

__________________

Location: outside at little eating area,
Budapest, July 9, 2016

LAUGHTER DROWN THE THREE sisters as they sat down in silence. Seeing children in their happiness, running around, being free. As the three of them moped in silence. Natasha was looking at a father who looked so happy with his child. Yelena finished patching up her arm, she stared at her older sisters. Yelena closed her eyes thinking how things would have been if they were never separated.

"The Sokovia Accords is under revision. As the fugitive avengers are allowed back to the tower and compound. In other news, international criminal Ian Doyle was killed in......"

Awkwardness filled the sisters. Well for one, Yelena told Natasha that the avengers were not her family and she was responsible for Ian's death.  Emily spared a glance at Natasha who looked so relieved that everything worked out for her. Emily put her head down, maybe Natasha was right, maybe they weren't sisters at all. But Emily could not just let it go.

Yelena took a deep breath as she broke the silence, "That gas, the counteragent, it was synthesized in secret by an older widow from Melina's generation. I was on the mission to retrieve it, and she exposed me and I killed the widow that freed me."

Emily gives her a small smile but behind that smile was all the guilt that keeps filling her up. Natasha also gave Yelena a small smile, "Did you have a choice?"

Yelena scoffs at that. Choice. She was never given the chance to make her own decision in life, to think for herself and it wasn't fair.

"What you experienced was psychological conditioning. I'm talking about alternering brain functions. They're two completely different things. You're fully conscious, but you don't know which part is you. I'm still not sure."

Emily did not know what to say nor did Natasha. I mean what could they say? Yelena barely got her life back while they were out there saving so many lives except they didn't come back to rescue their baby sister. Guilt filled up Emily even more, as she mumbled out, "I'm sorry."

Yelena gives her a small smile but her eyes say everything. All the pain that she went through. How she killed the one person who made this gas so she and others could be free. Her eyes filled up with tears but she will not cry not until she finds a way to fix this.

Yelena glanced up to Emily, "I was not the only one, Em. You might not remember it but during our time together you always took the punishment for me. Even with all the bullshit that is happening right now, I am so grateful for that."

Emily just gives her a small smile. Yelena should not have the need to feel grateful for that, she was the oldest sister she would do it over and over again if it meant Yelena was safe. She wishes that she can take both of her sister's pain. Also a small piece of her wishes that she remembers what happened. Maybe when she is comfortable enough to talk about it with her team, they can do a cognitive interview.