24 𝗴𝗮𝘇𝗲

chapter twenty four, gaze — act three, the end__________________

__________________

July 11, 2016 Location: BAU Headquarters
Quantico, Virginia

BUCKY BARNES SAT IN the early morning in a conference room with a pounding headache emerging in the center of his forehead as he gripped so tightly against the wooden pencil in his hand. He laid his head against the table as he was one first one to arrive at five in the morning. He stood up as he moved to corner of the room were a gallon of water was.

Gripping the cup as he poured some water since the tension between his pounding headache and thoughts were suffocating and it was not because he had too much to drink last night, it is because of the underlying frustration he felt with himself.

He felt his feet sweep across the room as he found himself intensely staring at the board as his eyes scanned for anything that he could have possibly missed, incase he was not paying attention. He shook his head in frustration as nothing clicked in his mind.

"Had a rough morning?"

Bucky turned to see agent Rossi leaning against the doorway. Bucky was lost in his thoughts that he did not sense him with his super hearing, he gave Rossi a tight smile as he raised his brow in confucian. Rossi walked towards the table as he sat on a chair, "You seem to be staring intensely at the board."

Bucky sighs as he sat across Rossi, "Just trying to see if I missed anything. What are you doing here so early?"

Rossi narrowed his eyes knowing the man carried so much weight on top of him, "I always come early. What about you?"

Bucky fiddles with his hands, as he is not too sure on what he is supposed to say. The truth? But he does not know him well enough as his other teammates. But there is also the fact that he knows less and won't judge him for his past?

Bucky moved his gaze to see Rossi giving him space, "I am in the process of recovering and the three girls seem familiar to me."

Rossi picked up his cup of coffee taking a sip as he felt the burning sensation go down his throat. Of course he and the rest of the BAU team knew he was in the process of recovering and whether the other team told them or not, they are profilers, they could see it in his eyes.

The dark bags that circled around his eyes showed the sleepless nights but also the guilt he felt. His eyes held an empty void as he seemed to be lost in the world. Him fiddling with his thumbs or anything object near him, suggests that he needs something to bring him back before he gets too lost in his thoughts.

Rossi set his cup down, eyeing him, "Has anything else come to your mind?"

Bucky narrowed his eyes as he stared intensely at the table. He shifted his gaze towards him to see the softened brown stare back at him and he appreciated that there was no pity in him, "Is it not too much that I was literally a soldier of an anti-freedom organization?"