Chapter 5: The secret cargo

While Edrio, the Tognath mercenary that was flying the U-Wing, kept the ship on course. Saw came down from the cockpit and looked at the silent group in the hold that was staring at him.

"The words you are looking for are' thank you'." he said jolly.

"We are thankful for the rescue, Saw, I'm just annoyed that the mission failed." Jaral replied.

"What are talking about? We turned the worst scenario into the best." Saw replied enthusiastically.

"The 'best scenario' would've been hack into that relay so we could stay one step ahead of the Empire. Now they will just rebuild it and we will be back to square one."

"We still dealt a blow to the Empire. That's all that matters." Saw replied.

Jaral shook her head. "To the Empire, this was even less than a mosquito bite. We cannot win a war of attrition, as of now."

"Think however you want it, Grand Marshall, but I stand to my actions." the man dismissed the conversation.

The tension between the two was clear as day. Jaral didn't hide her frown, while Saw seemed to avoid her gaze.

In the last few weeks, Rebel Command had received multiple reports about the rather 'extreme' measures that Saw and his partisans were adopting. Torture of imperial prisoners, complete disregard for collateral damage against civilians...all actions that only helped the Imperial propaganda by giving them some true news to spread, for once, about the cruelty of the 'rebel terrorists'.

Neither Jaral nor Mon Mothma appreciated all of that, not just because it lowered popular support for the Alliance, but because it undermined the very foundation of the rebel cause: to create a galaxy where the atrocities of the Empire would not be carried out anymore.

"But, considering that I just saved you..." Saw took the risk to talk again. "would you be willing to help me in return?"

"You need our help?" Ezra asked.

"That depends." Jaral interjected. "What are you up to?"

Saw's mouth turned into a grin. "You remember Geonosis?"

"Of course I do. I had all of my sources, including MI6, look into this possible super-weapon of the Empire, but so far nothing."

"Eh, apparently they didn't dig deep enough." Saw replied and went to turn on a hologram.

"Hold it, you're telling me that you have a lead?" Jaral asked cautiously.

Ezra, Sabine and Chopper got closer to listen.

The hologram of a space station appeared.

"This is Faos Station." Saw explained. "I've recently acquired intel on a secret imperial cargo being loaded aboard a civilian freighter there."

"And you want to infiltrate this freighter?" the woman asked.