Chapter 27: Fire on Krownest

The sudden arrival of the Rebels had forced the Imperials to delay the ground assault, to make sure there wasn't an entire fleet incoming, but when that turned out to be not the case, they quickly got to work to make up for the wasted time.

By then, it was already too late to stop the shipment of materials that had been loaded on the GR75 and sent back to Mandalore, but the Imperials were eager to get their revenge on clan Wren.

Still, they couldn't deploy as many forces as they wanted, because the Mandalorians and their allies were entrenched in a valley pass and the imperial walkers couldn't climb the short but steep ridges surrounding them, not to mention most of the area was covered by the anti-air defenses. So the Empire deployed two AT-AT, a small group of AT-ST and quite the number of stormtroopers in their snow armor, and they were going to try and pass the three lines of defense, that were built for a defense-in-depth tactic.

 So the Empire deployed two AT-AT, a small group of AT-ST and quite the number of stormtroopers in their snow armor, and they were going to try and pass the three lines of defense, that were built for a defense-in-depth tactic

 "Is it just me, or those AT-AT are different?" Ezra asked as they assessed the situation at the holotable

Sabine hummed as he scrutinized the machines. "You're right. The shape of the head is different. And I think they're a bit bigger?"

"Jinx, analyze them."

The AI didn't take long.

"Affirmative, these walkers seem to be a new, improved variant, but I think it's important to notice that they have energy shields around them. Even Ezra's lightsaber would be unable to go through them."

The teens looked at each other in confusion.

"Shields? How is that possible? It should be impossible to put them on a vehicle with so many mobile parts." Sabine asked.

"I'm comparing the wavelengths of those shields with the ones I have in my database. They seem to be built upon Federal technology." Jinx concluded.

Ezra grunted. "Of course. Remember that we never found the relics of the INS Athens when we liberated Lothal? Thrawn and Iulius must have shipped the wreckage beforehand and the Empire has kept experimenting."

"Never fear, Ezra," Jinx reassured. "it appears like these shields are only a prototype and are very unstable. A simple ion-launcher should be enough to deactivate them for a few seconds and allow you to damage them."