Chapter 23: Rescuing a King

It is said that the Calamari are not a party people, and while they didn't celebrate the liberation of their planet with the same intensity Lothal did, they did celebrate. From the underwater part of the Mon Cala city, which had been the main refuge of the Resistance for all the years of the occupation, as soon as the news of Moff Hubi's capture arrived, a delegation was sent from the Mon Cala government.

Leading it was the momentary Regent, Urtya. A meeting was called in the main office of the Palace, where Raddus and Ackbar were asked to participate as well.

"Our peoples owe you a great debt of gratitude, Masters Jedi." the old Regent said with a small bow to Ezra and Jaral, who were standing together with Hera, Claudio and the highest officers of the two Alliances, even Mon Mothma was participating via hologram.

"We thank you, Your Excellency, but this was a team effort." Jaral replied with humility.

"Besides, we still have to find King Lee-Char." Ezra added.

"Kallus is already working on it." Hera reassured. "We will have the location of the King soon enough."

Urtya made a nod of acknowledgment. "Meanwhile, we will start working to reactivate our shipyards and give you as many ships as we can possibly can. It's the least we could do for all of your help."

The exchange of pleasantries went on for at least two hours. The Mon Calamari and the Quarren representatives pledged their allegiance to the Rebel Alliance, thus making Mon Cala the first planet to represent a free territory under the authority of the Rebellion, since Lothal was still maintaining its independence until the elections that would be held in August.

After that, Ezra and Jaral finally left the Palace and found some time to reflect on what they almost did down in the bunker.

"How do you feel?" Ezra asked his sister with a hushed tone.

"I'm not sure...I still feel a bit cold." she replied while rubbing her hands against her arms.

Ezra put an arm around her shoulders and hugged her gently from the side.

"It was like that for me too, the first time." he tried to reassure her. "But the important part is that we didn't fall into it. What we must do now is to keep training and make sure it never happens again."

Jaral nodded. "You're right. Let's focus on the future, now."

They turned around, finding out that Jordan, Sabine, Zeb and Hera were waiting for them at a respectful distance.

"Sorry if we made you worry, guys." Ezra apologized.

"Don't say it, guys." Hera said with her caring tone, stepping forward and putting a hand on their shoulders like a proud mother. "It only showed, once again, that you have your hearts in the right place."

"Still, remind me never to make you guys really angry." Zeb quipped, trying to break the gloomy mood, and he managed to put a lopsided grin on the siblings' faces.

"All right, I should be back to work. We need to push our advantage while we can." Jaral declared, suddenly regaining her composure.

"Before you go..." Jordan intervened. "Senator Organa said that he's sending an agent to help us with the rescue of King Lee-Char. She's escorting a group of refugees toward Lothal, now, but should be here in a few hours."

"Got it, thanks, Dad." Jaral replied before heading for the Elephant to have a discussion with Edrix and Raddus about her next plan.

Now that Mon Cala was safe, Jaral wanted the joint allied fleet to secure a buffer zone and liberate the rest of the sector from Imperial presence. When the Calamari and the Quarren would have built enough ships, the allied forces would have to try and push toward the Thanium Sector, toward Felucia, and clear a path that would finally link Yavin to the other territories of the coalition.