Chapter 11: Jedi Night

April 21

The news of Hera's capture was another blow that severely undermined the rebels' confidence. The Twi'lek had stayed behind to allow Chopper and Matt Martin to escape and be recovered by Kanan, who had elected to stay back with his speeder-bike.

Kanan was now meditating at the edge of the camp, on a rock in front a prairie. After debating a little, Jaral and Ezra decided to go talk with him about the idea of rescuing Hera.

They found him kneeling, and even though they had approached quite silently, in order not to disturb him, Kanan knew that his apprentices were there.

"I need you two to do something for me." he said calmly.

"Anything." Ezra replied.

"You have to take the lead on Hera's rescue."

The siblings looked at each other in surprise.

"Shouldn't you be the one to do that?" Jaral asked.

"I would, but I can't think clearly because of the way I feel about her." their Master replied. "I might make a mistake. One that could cost us."

"We can do this together." Ezra suggested.

"No." Kanan slowly stood up and faced his Padawans. "I will follow you, but this must be your plan. I trust you guys wholly."

The Padawans made a light bow with their heads, to respect the will of their Master.

"If that is what you want." said Ezra.

"It's what we need if we're going to save Hera...and everyone else."

"Okay, then let's take Sabine and Dad and reach our old tower." Jaral said. "We should be able to use the Force to locate Hera, from there."

"Sounds like a plan." Ezra agreed and the two started to trail back along the corridor carved into the mountain to reach the camp.

Ezra could perceive a burning determination into Jaral's mind. Like he told her, despite the defeat, she was ready to jump back into the action, though he was afraid that she might try to do something reckless, for once in her life.

"Jari, we will bring her back, you'll see." he reassured her.

"I'm fine, Ezra. Hera has been in trouble before, but she came out of it. And they surely want her to reveal the location of our fleet, so they won't kill her."

"Yet, there's something else bothering you."

"Of course, the refinery and the factory are still standing. So I was thinking, if we manage to infiltrate the Imperial Dome, maybe we could push our luck and try to sabotage the fuel depot at the very least."

Ezra barred his eyes. "And how do you intend to do that?"

"I don't know. We'll just have to wing it."