Chapter 14: Between Worlds

As Ezra dived into the gateway created by the moving pictures of the Loth-wolves, he couldn't even conceive what he would find on the other side. As he stood up, he first realized that the stormtroopers didn't follow him, but then he turned around and his mind almost melted.

Aside from the circular door that he had used to escape, he now found himself in what seemed dark space, since he could see the stars around him, but there were white lines that seemed to define paths, like they were corridors on a floating structure

He dematerialized his helmet and noticed that he could breathe.

In the distance, he could spot other of those gates, but what unsettled him were the various voices that murmured all around him. Some of them he thought they were familiar, some things he thought he had already though in real life and some he had no clue about.

He started to walk, trying to figure where he was, but he could only hear those voices, while the floor beneath him (if it could even be called floor, since there was nothing, created small waves for every step he took, like if it was made of water.

He kept going. He noticed that there was always a specific voice coming from any gateway that he surpassed, but he couldn't see anything in particular.

He continued until he spotted another being: a convor, a type of bird that was always around Ahsoka when she was on Atollon, as he had noted to Sabine while he and her were trying to interpret the new mural discovered by the Imperials.

"Hey, I've seen you before." Ezra said. "How did you get here?" he asked.

The bird hooted.

"Can you help me?" Ezra asked, since the convor seemed to understand him. "I was sent here, but I'm not sure why."

The bird hooted again, and this time, the portal it was standing on illuminated itself. It was composed by the circular gate, but was surrounded by a triangle and various signs along the two forms' borders. The white contours suddenly were bathed in a blue light and the void space inside of the circle became red.

Ezra squinted his eyes. Something was taking form inside of that circle.

A red lightsaber was ignited, and Ezra finally recognized what that was.

He was looking at the moment Ahsoka died. Both the Togruta and Darth Vader were in front of him. The young man watched in absolute disbelief as he revived that moments. He saw himself when he tried to go back to save Ahsoka, but Jaral had kept him back and even Ahsoka pushed them away a bit until the top of the Sith temple collapsed, separating the two parts.

Vader lifted his sword and bore it down on Ahsoka, who still managed to ignite her white lightsabers and parry the hit even when she was giving her back to the Sith Lord.

Ezra kept watching as the two dueled, and until Ahsoka was right at an arm's length away from him.

The convor squawked in a hurry.