Chapter 35: No Turning Back

December 1.

When Galen was informed about the fate of Jedha, he was hit by the deepest sense of remorse and the most furious rage. Still, with the help of his daughter and the patience of the young Jedi in front of him, he managed to calm down and confirmed what he had said in the message: the plans for the Death Star were in the data vault on Scarif. Without them, it would be impossible for the Rebels to find the weakness that Galen had built into the station, because even if the Constantinople did scan the battle station a bit, the structure was too gargantuan for a quick scan to reveal everything about it.

For the rest, Galen eagerly gave all the intel he had about imperial research facilities and vital production centers that he knew about only because they worked to the construction of the Death Star, but since Galen had been forced to work on the project after Krennic killed his wife and almost captured Jyn, the old scientist had a very limited access to the Imperial Network.

The Constantinople headed right back toward Yavin, passing through Kessel and then heading toward Lothal through a secondary hyperspace route that wasn't under the control of any of the warring factions, then they used the conventional ones to reach the planet in just a couple of days more.

As the ship touched ground on the landing area that had been readied for her, Ezra and the rest of the team were ready to get down from the ramp of the hangar. When that opened, he saw Jaral and Sabine, at the head of a small delegation ready to escort Galen into the old temple.

Ezra walked down the ramp and the girls gave him a hug, mostly because they needed to confirm that he was still there with them, even after that terrible encounter with the death on Jedha.

"I got really, really scared, this time." Sabine commented.

Ezra kissed her quickly and apologized with a smile, while Jaral left the collective hug and instead headed toward Galen and Jyn.

"I'm glad to see you found each others." she said with a genuine happiness.

"It was all thanks to you and the Alliance. I suppose you are Jaral Bridger." Galen answered cordially.

"You know me?"

"I might've been quite isolated, but I still heard about you and your brother. Besides, there are not many people left in the galaxy who openly carry a lightsaber." he added pointing at Jaral's belt.

Jaral chuckled, giving a quick look at the weapon hanging from her left hip.

"I guess not. Come on, it's not over, yet." she concluded.

"Unfortunately." Jyn commented before they followed the Grand Marshall toward the temple.

However, when they enter the main perimeter of the camp, meaning the main fighters park, where Bodhi and K had also landed the stolen shuttle, many rebels looked at their way, curious to see who the new arrival was.

"Do they know who I am?...what I have done?" Galen asked.

"The only ones who have seen what happened to Jedha are me and the few who were into the war room at the moment. For now, I deemed necessary to keep the intel from the troops." Jaral explained.

"Speaking of which, what's our next move?" Ezra asked.

"I have a few ideas, but I need to consult with the Councilors and, if they agree, I'll contact Admiral Edrix." his sister calmly assessed. "But we also have another problem."

"What?"

Jaral sighed and stopped in her tracks. "While you were away, I received news than an Imperial commando team has stormed one coalition's outpost on Rhen Var. They have stolen a few dozens of stored AIs."