Chapter 29: Siege of Kalevala

July 17.

The news broke in from the HoloNet. The Yavzakh fleet had appeared over Murris and it was immediately annihilated by the local Imperial Sector Fleet, who had been warned in time of the threat.

"The alien threat has been shattered, all thanks to the valiant effort of the Imperial Navy. However, all of this had been possible thanks to Admiral Iulius Tanis." a hologram of Iulius appeared. "This young prodigy, who has attained his rank at the age of 25 years, has ventured into Wild Space and crushed the ferocious army that was preparing to invade the innocent colony of Murris and allowed the Navy to intercept the threat before it was too late."

While the announcer went on with the praises, the officers who were gathered around the holotable to watch the transmission turned toward the Admiral.

"Congratulations, sir." Bolo said with a smile.

"It's been a team effort, Captain." Iulius replied modestly. "I thank you all for your diligence and professionalism, I'm sure you're all getting a promotion after all this."

The other officers smirked at the prospect.

"For now, though, we still have some mopping up to do." the Admiral added. "Seek to establish contact with every Carunoan community and make sure we seize as many Yavzakh structures as possible, we need to study their technology to understand if they're related to the Grysks."

The officers saluted and immediately scrambled to their posts, leaving Iulius to think by himself.

Even if all seemed fine and dandy, he was actually very worried about that announcement on the HoloNet.

"Something the matter?" the voice of Qathora suddenly reached him.

The Togruta had just left the turbolift to go talk with him.

"I'm afraid I've just painted a big bullseye on my back." Iulius grimly commented.

That public praise was completely abnormal: imperial officers were never praised for doing their job, and they usually didn't want to, because gaining fame was extremely dangerous in the Imperial political system.

Iulius was already the youngest Admiral in the history of the Empire, as the announcer on the HoloNet reminded him. This was enough to gain the attention of many jealous counterparts, to all the politicians who hated his skyrocketing career.

Even when he was just a Captain, he remembered how there were many cold stares directed at him at the ball he attended at the Imperial Palace, not long after the battle of Atollon. Iulius, in the eyes of the people of the Core, came from Lothal, a backwater world which now was also enemy territory, had surpassed all of his wealthy and connected classmates, most of whom were very much prone to jealousy.

Much like Thrawn, Iulius had to face his own share of prejudices and envies. Being publicly praised in a galaxy-wide transmission was just a sure way to attract even more unwanted attention. He still wondered who told the speaker to say that.

Qathora understood it, partially at least, so she waited a moment before reporting calmly what she had to.

"Lord Vader is about to return to the Devastator, but he asked to see you in your office, first."

"Then let's not make him wait." the Admiral commented, leading his servant out of the bridge as they headed toward his office.

When Iulius opened the door of the office, he quickly spotted Vader, waiting unusually patiently near the desk.