Chapter 8: Kindred

April 15.

While Jaral was preparing the expedition to retake the hyperdrive, Ezra and Jordan were working on the former's armor.

"Is it bad?" Ezra asked while Jordan analyzed the shield generator on his back.

His father hummed. "The damage is not too extensive, just give me..." he mumbled, then the yellow aura of the shields all around Ezra reappeared and the armor made its whirring sound, signaling that it was back in action.

"There. You're ready to get back in action." he said proudly, giving Ezra a light pat on the shoulder.

"Thanks, Dad. I was afraid I would have to say goodbye to this armor." Ezra said.

"When the Federation arrives, I'm pretty sure we could always ask them to give you a new one." Jordan quipped.

Ezra chuckled. "They just hand it like that?"

"I mean, they are pretty costly, but you are a Legionnaire and a strong warrior, I'm sure they would like you to stay like that."

Ezra stood up, made a couple diagnostics with his omni-tool and turned back toward his father.

"Speaking of strong warriors, are you sure you shouldn't have gone back with your shuttle and Rex? If anything happens to you..." he started, but Jordan interjected.

"Nothing will happen to me, Ezra. Right now, my kids need my help, and I will not abandon you again." he said willfully, putting a hand on Ezra's shoulder.

Ezra chuckled. "You know, sometimes it seems too good to be true."

"What?"

"That you and Mom are here with me and Jari. Helping us, guiding us...and loving us." he said with a smile.

Jordan smiled back and hugged him.

"And that won't change again until we die of old age, that much I promise." Jordan said.

"I'll have to live with it." Ezra quipped.

The two broke the hug, and the voice of Jaral intervened with a happy tone.

"Okay, you two. Enough family time, for now. We better get moving."

"Oh, come on, sis. Come here." Ezra incited her.

Jaral rolled her eyes playfully and complied with the request. Father and children exchanged an affectionate hug, which was actually a rare occurrence for the three of them.

"I know I told this plenty of times." Jordan started. "This isn't the life I wanted for you, but I couldn't be prouder of you two."

The siblings smiled at him.

"Now go get that hyperdrive." he incited them.

 The siblings materialized their helmets and headed back toward the speeder-bikes, where Zeb was waiting for them and Jordan couldn't hold a smirk looking at them go