Will

Will woke up with a tired yawn.

Today was a lecture-free, homework-free, everything-free day.

So, apart from Nico's shift at the Little Duck in the middle of the day, they could simply spend a day together. It sounded good. Just a nice day, at home, with his boyfriend, chilling and relaxing as the world rolled on.

He wandered out of his bedroom as he put on a t-shirt.

"Nico?"

Will looked around.

Nico hadn't returned.

Ah well, Will had been wondering how he still had been awake. Will himself had been extremely tired. He had probably just blacked out when he got home.

Yes, that must've been it.

- - - - - - -

It was only at Nico's shift when Will realised something was wrong.

His phone buzzed - Piper was calling.

"Hey, Pipes?"

"Hey, everything good on your end?" Will couldn't help but smile as Piper's voice made little pink bubbles burst around him. Each word that came through the phone created a little firework of pink.

Piper didn't know - she'd probably kill him if she did.

"Yeah." Will crossed his legs as he flopped onto the bed. "You?"

"Well, I'm great, but..." Piper said something to somebody else, probably about an order. "Do you know where Nico is?"

Will blinked.

"I thought he was working his shift over there."

"No, he hasn't shown up." Piper sighed. "I don't mind if he takes a day off - he's been super consistent ever since he started working for Jason, I've heard he's never ever taken leave. It's okay, but he needs to tell me first, otherwise we'll be understaffed."

Will frowned. "He didn't tell me anything about that. He said he'd be there." Looking at the clock, Will stood up. "He went to his place last night - I'll go check."

Piper exhaled audibly. "Cool." After a pause, she added, "I hope he's alright."

"Hmm?" Will went to put on his shoes after pocketing his keys and wallet.

"He's been acting weird lately, I don't know if you've noticed."

Locking his door, Will sighed. "Yeah. I've noticed." Ever since the night during which Nico's colours were gone, he had never seen them again. It worried him, but Nico hadn't done especially odd. He had seemed normal, normal apart from the absence of his swirling cloud of colour. Will missed them, but...

Nothing had happened.

Yet.

"I'm heading to his place now."

"Cool." There was a scuffling noise from her end, making red scratches in the air. "I have to go - I hope everything's okay."

"Yeah."

- - - - - - -

"Nico?"

Silence.

"Neeks?"

Will looked around Nico's place while calling his name, but there wasn't anyone there. Instead, his voice just echoed in the empty space, leaving trails of silver in the air. It was obvious that Nico had been here - there was surprisingly little dust for a place that had been left for at least a month, which mean Nico had tidied it last night - but he must've left. Will could see light blue sparkles everywhere.