Nico

Nico had long associated rain with happiness.

When he was younger, he hated going outside. The sun had made him crawl in his skin, and his had eyes felt like they were burning. He hadn't been able to comprehend why people thought going out in the sunlight was fun. He preferred staying in the shadows, where the burn couldn't touch him.

But when it rained, Nico could go outside. He could play. It was those days that he enjoyed the most.

When Will came along, Nico learnt that sunshine wasn't that bad. After all, his boyfriend was practically the epitome of it. But it reinforced the idea that rain was good, that it heralded happiness. Almost every advancement in their relationship, from meeting to dating, had happened on a day with rain.

It was a rainy day, and the rain simply intensified as the day turned to night.

Nico wondered absent-mindedly if a rainbow would still appear in such low lighting.

"Neeks?"

He turned around to see that Will had poked his head out from behind the couch.

"Yes Will?"

"What's the time?"

Groaning, Nico turned to face the clock. "You can check yourself."

"But you just turned!"

"Fine. It's six." Nico yawned and flopped onto the couch, closing his eyes and focusing on the rhythmic patter of the rain outside the window. He felt a warm, fluffy body flop on his face, and rub itself all over him.

Opening his eyes again, Nico saw a very triumphant Nocturne.

Will jumped up. "Don't get comfortable, we should get going!"

"Will, it's only fifteen minutes away..." Nocturne squirmed on Nico's face, before falling onto his stomach and promptly falling asleep. Halo jumped onto him and they curled around each other.

Cats were so weird.

"Then you should get dressed!" Will was oddly enthusiastic today. It wasn't like he usually acted tired, but this was definitely not his usual level of hype. It seemed like he was on a sugar rush or something. Or maybe he always behaved like this before an outing, Nico didn't know.

With a tired sigh, Nico turned away from where Will had been shouting in his face, and little mews of protest came from the soft lumps of fur.

"What am I even going to wear anyways?"

"A shirt 'll do!" Yes, there was definitely something going on with Will today. He was too enthusiastic.

Nico needed to find out what was going on.

- - - - - - -

He had managed to make Will wait a bit, but only for twenty minutes.

It was just a restaurant.

What was there to be so excited for?

Since the night would get cold, Nico was wearing his favourite black jacket over a t-shirt - it wasn't a formal occasion, and Will was too hyped up to notice. Too hyped up to notice anyone's outfit apart from his own, that was.

Will himself wore a lightly-coloured dress shirt with a blazer and jeans. It wasn't the first clothing combination that Nico could think of, and he was a bit sceptical as to what Will was trying to achieve, but it worked on him. Worked slightly too well, in Nico's opinion. He was starting to have a hard time reining in the feelings he harboured for the blonde.

Although if Will had dyed his hair into a certain shade of any other colour, it wasn't like Nico would notice.

"We're here!" Will exclaimed with the goofiest grin. He paid the driver before excitedly leading Nico to the entrance of the restaurant.