• Prologue

TRIGGER WARNINGS
•Domestic Abuse
•Graphic Case Descriptions
•Mentions Of Sexual Assault
•Suicide
•Emotional Abuse
•Sexual Content
•Lack Of Empathy
•Miscarriage
•Death
•Hospitals

As you sat at the dining you table you couldn't help but think: what the hell am I doing?

Axel, your boyfriend, was sitting across from you chopping down on some dinner you whipped up after a long case. Being a lawyer was hard enough and Axel always insisted you didn't have to work after his father died.

He inherited millions of dollars through the man. His fathers name was Lesly, he left you with a dime of his fortune in hopes you would find the guts to continue a relationship with his darling son.

"You eat like a rabbit" you said curtly. In front of you was chicken, nicely cut decorated with vegetables. It was hard staying with Axel, yes he had money but his manners were so unbearably horrible that you visibly cringed.

He huffed and cut another piece of chicken with the silver cutlery. "Babydoll, you know what I told you about saying things like that. It's not nice." His southern accent was coating his voice in honey.

Reluctantly, you tensed in your seat and began to eat properly. "Axel, you know what I told you about calling me Babydoll, it's weird." You dropped your utensils on the plate, suddenly not hungry but rather nauseous. "I have a lot of work to do."

You pushed your chair back, grabbing your plate on the way and started towards the kitchen. Axel was hot on your heels, cowboy books on the marble floors. Celia, a maid that Axel hired, was quick to take your plate despite your best effort. To you, it was deemed rude to have someone else clean up after your mess but you couldn't help a fight for much longer. 

"Oh come on sugar, you don't have to work! Stay home with me and enjoy your time." His grips your waist tightly and spins you around. Instinctively, you turn your head to the side to avoid his gaze. His breath smelt of scotch and vodka, the combination you couldn't stand. His lip with plump with tobacco he bought from the gas station.

"I can sit here in this house and pretend I want this kind of money Axel. I'm sorry if you think that is for me, but it's not. He wasn't my father and I don't want to be tied down by money," you shrugged effortlessly.

Axel cupped your cheeks in his hands and faces you towards him, "But you love me right sugar? Can't you just do this one thing for me?"

Your eyes glanced down away from him, already brimming with tears. At some point your limit was thinning until it broke.  "Of course I love you. It's just-"

"-Shhhh. Do this for me."

"I would be giving up my dream!" You persevered. It didn't take long for the grip on your face to harden and your throat to clog up. "Axel you have to understand that I spent my time and energy into something that can't be thrown away like a piece of paper."

Redness coated his face, fume radiating off his skin. You tried to never make him mad, ever. Everyday you had to try something new, from sunglasses to long sleeves and even hair extensions to cover the marks, you couldn't do it for much longer. The tension between you was thickening as his hands gripped your face so hard, you had to grind your teeth together to stop a whimper from escaping.

"Just understand," you whispered in a pleading voice, "that this isn't what I wanted for myself, I have priorities Axel, my job a-and making you happy."

"I am your only priority" he sneered, "I make sure you have a home, a life that consists of everything you could've ever imagined and you can't stop working?! You're pathetic."

Your knees nearly buckled out from under you if he hasn't been holding you so tightly. Your hand gripped his wrist in a effort to relieve the pressure.

There was a switch inside of him you believed. Some jokes would get him laughing while others would ignite a fire inside of him that was immune to any efforts to stop it. Thoughts were jumbled in your head as you tried to think. Perhaps this was a sign. He has been wanting you to give up for so long and the beatings won't stop until you surrender to his mercy. Surrender to the monster you can't seem to get away from, leave the only family you have in Virginia. Avery warned you about him and what he'd done.

You were young and naive when you got with him, blindsided by the horrible mistake that you were throwing yourself into. Your mom has just passed, Avery moved to California and your dad was trying his best but he was never there emotionally.

Celia waltzed out the door with her head down, done with work for the night. You never imagined what he did to her, if anything. Celia turned away every chance she got and you felt responsible for not getting her out. She needs the money, that's what she told you.

"I'm sorry" you whimper, desperate to contain your tears, "I'll tell Hotch tomorrow."

You gasped for air when your flow was becoming cut off, "I told you I don't like you talking to him sugar, can't you see how he looks at you?" Axels words sounded soft but his anger was flowing in his hand gripped around your neck.

Air resistance caused you to become lightheaded on the verge of passing out. You needed to leave him no matter if you couldn't keep his fathers money. "I'll take to Strauss then, right in the morning!" you choked out.

"Good girl." He released you, forcing your body to become limp on the ground. Your lip hits the marble floor, a metallic taste forming in your mouth. Red liquid poured slowly onto the floor in little drips. The pain in your knees registered as you watched Axel walk away.

A/N-
Writing again is so weird but hey! I know this book is already starting off on a heavy note and I want everyone to be warned this  is not going to be a fluffy book. I want to shine light on real issues that happen to real people. I won't tolerate mean comments regarding any serious topics discussed.

I love you all <3