• Five

Chapter Five: Living With Ghosts

Hours had passed with Hotch asking you the same questions in different fonts over and over again until you physically exploded and told him you needed a break.

Night rolled around more quickly then you had intended and you felt like you wasted the day away. Nurses waltzed in and out of the room with the identical smile and kind words about how you would be leaving soon. Each time they asked about home, you didn't know what to answer.

Being back in the place was a sickening thought that you wanted to erase from your mind. You were a bit crestfallen knowing you wouldn't return to the place that all of your things reside. Even with the horrid memories, it's still what you think of when home comes into mind whether you like it or not. It didn't matter what happened, the feel of a soft bed and new sheets would always be welcoming to you, it stays constant even if you were hurt or crying or even happy.

Your labored breathes filled the room as you tired to conceal the pain in small, shallow breathes. You weren't thinking rationally to what you were really doing to your body, only that you need more air. The soft beeping didn't stop and allowed you to drift off to sleep knowing that Hotch would be here bright and early.

• • •

It wasn't a surprise when you woke up and found the team chatting in whispers about Axel. Your mind was fuzzy from sleep and you couldn't fully make out what they were saying. Pain was nonexistent currently, assuming nurses gave you some sort of medication a few hours ago.

Your eyes fully opened to reveal a dark room thankfully. JJ was the first to notice you shift in bed, a hush falling over the room.

"What are you all doing here?" you coxed out, voice still dry from sleep.

JJ walked over slowly with a motherly smile. She just gave back from maternity leave after having Michael and you never missed the shift in demeanor when it came to talking with someone who was hurt. She sat down on the edge of your bed carefully not to hurt you. She grabbed your hands, engulfing them in her soft ones.

"We are getting the paperwork for your discharge. What you told Hotch- it help us in so many ways." JJ explained.

When Hotch was bombarding you with questions, you told him about the lake and beach properties Axel and you owned, frequented clubs and friends houses. There wasn't much more you could tell him sadly because Axel mostly kept his free time private from you unless he chose to tell you.

An outside eye would be weirded out by why you couldn't even indulge in your boyfriends interest with him. You would simply say that's just how Axel always was, closed off when he wanted.

"Discharge?" you asked, trying to conceal the waver in your voice from fear. The hospital was keeping you safe from Axel who could show up any minute now ready for revenge. He always said no one would believe you if you said something, now you know everything is a lie.

Seeing as the team gathered around to help you showed just how much people really do care. You felt shameful for thinking they weren't good enough friends because Axel said so. It was always what Axel said, what he wanted.

"Yes, we will put you in a safe house, one of us with always be with you," she says, squeezing your hands in reassurance.

You shook your head in protest, "I don't want a safe house JJ. I want to go back to work and my life to be what is was before."

You looked at her with pleading eyes, ignoring the protective gaze Hotch had on you. She of all people would understand that you can't just change so quickly. When she went to the pentagon, she didn't come back the same person. Ripping herself away from what she knew did horrible things to the way felt with things. You never liked change anyways, the team knew this to an extent.