• Seven

Chapter Seven: It's All Fun And Games Until Someone Looses Their Mind

You woke up with a groan. Chatter ignited downstairs and laughter came from the TV, presumably cartoons. Jack was here already. You couldn't answer how long you slept for just that you needed the rest. Deep down, you were scared that you wouldn't be able to protect yourself if you were asleep.

As silly as it sounds, you had watched way too many serial killer movies where people got murdered in their sleep. Now you were looking out for Axel. Two days ago you would be able to say confidently that you didn't think he was a threat. Perhaps the new surroundings were getting to your head.

You threw on a sweatshirt and sleep shorts from your bag and creeped down the stairs.

"Daddy look! Mom always said I could do it if I never gave up!" Jack's little voice squealed, carrying down the halls of the empty house.

You peeked your head around the corner from the stairs so you could get a clear view of the living area. Hotch was seated with Jack on the floor gazing over a large Lego structure. "Put the last piece on, Jack." He suggested.

Handing the child a police department sign, Jack stuck it in front of the building. "It's like where you work! Mommy said you catch the bad guys," Jack explained.

With a small chuckle, Hotch slowly got off the floor. "Something like that buddy." He ruffled his son's hair. You took the last few stairs quietly but he still noticed the creak in the wood.

It was so different here. At the mansion you could remember where to step so avoid any sounds. It was the only way you could keep Axel away. His eyes locked with yours for a moment. Jack shot off the ground with a gasp.

"Y/N!" he yelled, running at you full speed, crashing into your body with open arms. You groaned, face contorting in pain.

"Hi buddy," you choked on your words. "I saw your Legos, pretty cool huh?"

Hotch watched you carefully, brows furrowed with your reaction. "I didn't know you were here. Daddy said you wouldn't come here often."

You glanced at him with a confused smile. He simply shrugged and turned on the stove. You crouched down to Jack's height with a soft smile, running a hand through his messy hair. You noticed how little he looks like Hotch, taking after Haley more.

"Well that was before," you said simply, "I will be around for a little bit. Is that okay with you?"

"Of course!" Jack screamed. He ran off quickly to get back to his toys. You laughed and walked over to Hotch who was attempting to crack an egg. Cinnamon, milk, some sugar, among other things also decorated the table.

"Need help?" you teased.

He grumbled under his breath before backing away. You stepped forward and grabbed the egg, cracking with one hand easily. Next, you poured the other ingredients, whisking it with the fork he had placed next to the bowl. "Easy, even a child could do it."

"Was that an insult?"

You turned around with a charming smile, "Absolutely,"

Jack called out just as Hotch was about to respond, "Can we go to the fair?" he begged, focusing still on his toys. You glanced at Hotch with a tight lipped smile to surpass the laugh bubbling inside of you.

Outside was remotely cool, the city had an annual fair that you used to go to when you first moved to Virginia. By the look on Hotch's face, it was clear that saying 'no' wasn't on his mind. He dipped a piece into the mixture.

It sizzled as it hit the hot pan. "If Y/N wants to go, then yes."

A strange feeling overtook you. Why did it have to be okay with you? He didn't want to leave you here alone, that was the most logical explanation. Was it so surprising that he had concern? God, why were you like this!