• Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen: The Heat Of A Thousand Fires

Walking into the bullpen was weird yet refreshing. Seeing familiar faces throwing paper balls at each other while drowning over paperwork was an intense shock. Nothing was different, the desks still aligned in fours, the team sat in the same places. Emily and Derek were arguing about God knows that, Spender was reading a book on the laws of physics. Penelope leaned over a desk, listening into the argument.

When you walked in, they all turned to greet Hotch, not yet knowing that you were there. "Good morning boss man!" Penelope squealed.

"Garcia," he greets curtly with the bow of his head. "Y/N will be joining me for the day, if any new cases come in, please direct them to Rossi immediately."

Everyone shoots up at the mention of your name, immediately seeing you standing behind Hotch, so small compared to him. "Y/N!" they all say at the same time, running towards you to envelope you in hugs.

You were almost knocked over from the force of them running at you. Laughing, you wrap your arms around them— even Spencer, and breathe in the scent of family. There wasn't much air to go around in such a tight space but you welcomed it. You screwed your eyes shut as they laughed and treated you like a big teddy bear. There was a sense of security with them, one that wasn't exactly up to par with Hotch but it was still very much there.

"I can't breathe," you laugh, attempting to push them away with your hands. They all let go while mumbling apologies.

"What are you doing here? I thought you couldn't come back yet?" Emily asks.

"Um- after the case in New York, I realized that I couldn't stay away from this place for much longer so— i'm going to hang out here for today to get back into the groove of things," you explain.

Derek chimes into the conversation, "Are you still practicing law with the BAU?"

You nod and subconsciously glance towards Hotchs office, his words running in your head about becoming an agent still fresh in your mind. Ever since he brought it up, you didn't have much time to think about it. You've been gone forever nearly a month already and you love the thrill of the courtroom. It was a lot to consider, but it wasn't something you wanted to dwell over right now in such a great moment of return.

"Yes as of now," you say, "I hope to get back full time very soon but you all know how stubborn Hotch is."

They all share a quick laugh. "Yes we do babygirl," Derek teases, placing a hand on your shoulder and squeezing, "What are you doing here, really?"

Their eyes were all looking at you curiously and it wasn't like you were going to lie. After all, they were the ones helping you in the investigation so you didn't have to hide it from them.

"Looking over some stuff about Axel— Celia specifically. When I was in New York, I got two text messages from him under a burner phone. I didn't understand how he knew in the first place but I think I have a hunch how."

Spencer's eyes widened but Emily interrupted before he could say anything. "Do you know how he was tracking you?"

You nod hesitantly, "Yeah, this girl at a diner me and Hotch ate at took our order, she was shy then but when we got ice cream, she was there again this time more confident like a blown ego."

Before anyone else could chime in, Hotch peeks out of his office. "Y/N, can I speak with you?"

You glance towards him then back at the team. Giving a tight lipped smile, you depart from the group and head up to the catwalk. When you arrive at his office you don't knock, opting to enter without permission. Unsurprisingly, he is leaned over his desk, hands hosting his body up as he studies the paper in front of him.