• One

Chapter One: Remembering Sunday

Today you picked a purple turtleneck and sunglasses.

After what Axel did, you locked yourself in the bathroom and cried until your eyes brimmed red. In the morning, you checked your account to find it wiped of money, his only way of truly keeping you here. The tremor in your hand was so prominent that you couldn't do simple makeup to cover the puffiness of your face. Working with a team of profilers was hard enough, considering you didn't have the training to cover your own emotions.

Being a lawyer had its perks when it came to bottling things up. Watching rapists, murders, arsonists walk free was enough to send someone into a spiral but you never let it show. The team knew about Axel and some of the things you did regarding work, however what happened behind closed doors was locked in a chest, never to escape into the whirlwind called the BAU.

Soft snoring came from the bedroom, Axel was sound asleep not even bothering to allow you back into the master bedroom. You ended up sleeping on the floor of the guest bathroom after he locked you out. These clothes are from yesterday and as disgusting as it sounded, there was no choice.

You held your Christian Louboutin heels in one hand and silently ran down the hall so you wouldn't wake Axel. It took a few minutes to get into the large garage full of cars, Porches, Mercedes, Cadillacs, and Lamborghinis. You chose the black Cadillac CT6.

• • •

The drive was short and filled with silence up until you made it to Quantico. The familiar bodyguard stood and checked your credentials before letting you in. Your hair flowed just above your shoulders in a clean cut, styled sharply. Your shoulders were pushed back, feet in rhythm with a sense of confidence as you passed agents and public affair officers. They waved a quick hello that you reciprocated all the way to the sixth floor.

The Behavioral Analysis Unit.

"Y/n! Oh my sunshine, what are you doing here so early!" A voice filled with sweetness boomed over the echoing walls. Penelope appeared from her office like a fairy coming to save the day in a movie. Her blonde hair pulled into butterfly clips to go with her matching outfit.

"Goddess of technology," you greeted with a smile, "I could ask you the same thing."

She pulled you into a tight hug, squeezing your bruised ribs from a few weeks ago. You bit your lip to conceal noise as she swayed back and forth. "You smell like rainbows!"

"I don't think that's possible," you laughed quietly.

"Well of course it is," she links her arm with yours and leads you through the bullpen, "I smell like rainbows all the time, almost like fruit punch!"

Continuing your journey, you glanced at other agents soundly working in a timely manner, a routine established to an orderly work attitude according to Hotch. It smelt like printer paper and pen ink, a scent that has become aware of your brain and body. Pain shot through your knees as you took each step but you walked normally like always and acted as though nothing was wrong.

"So I was thinking about having a get-together at my house for halloween because Reid loves it so much and says I can't be scary."

"You can't be scary Penelope, ever."

She pouted her lip, "Well I want to prove everyone wrong. What do you think?"

Your stomach twisted into knots knowing that Axel wouldn't let you go. He says that the team can be toxic and is trying to steer you away from him. You can see it sometimes how he is right as bad as it is to admit. "I dunno, I'm technically not a part of the team. Yes I work in this unit but- I'm still not an agent."