• Twenty Three

Chapter Twenty Three: Oh, When You Look At Me Like That, My Darling, What Did You Expect?

Aaron POV

I admire her hair sometimes. Specifically when she is sitting near me, feeding my son a spoonful of her pasta even though she knew he wouldn't like it. I admire the way her fair falls onto her shoulder, soft and effortless. It reminds me of the times I've ran my hands through it without a knot in question.

Perhaps my obsession isn't healthy. I still don't know what to call the feelings I have for her. Some may say love, however I don't think the word is strong enough. So, I've begun to think of her as an obsession— to keep her safe, happy, glowing. My main priority is to put a smile on her face.

When I see that smile flatter I can't help but feel I have done something wrong. Though I know it's not always true, I took her under my roof, her happiness is my responsibility. Which is why I agreed to not keep anything drastic away from her, like Axel.

Now I consider if I have something wrong with me. We found Axel, hiding in Oregon. Morgan, Rossi, and Emily left after we went to dinner. I haven't told her mainly because I'm afraid. I'm afraid that she'll leave me. It's selfish, I know. One of the worst things I could possibly do to the woman I'm obsessed with. There was something she wasn't telling me and I have a feeling I know what it is. She's ready to move on from what I can see— I'm not.

I'm not ready to not wake up to her snuggled next to me. I'm not ready to not listen to her soft breathing as she falls asleep. I'm not ready, to go back to cooking eggs everyday for breakfast, which, apparently, aren't any good.

So, as her and Jack laugh about what his teacher said at school, I study the way her mouth moves, the mouth I've kissed. I study the way her eyes flutter, the eyes I've been lured into. I study, the way she laughs, the laugh I heard at the ice cream parlor— the laugh I haven't heard in so long.

"Dad, what do you think?" Jack pulls me out of my thoughts. I look up from my food, the loves of my life looking back at me.

"I'm sorry buddy I didn't hear you..." I say.

I can't focus. Jack rolls his eyes, "Y/N ask him again!"

Y/N laughs, again, and I sigh in contentment.

"Aaron, Jack asked if you'd rather eat three snakes or one whale," she explains.

That's something Jack would ask. I always admired his imagination. It reminds me of Y/N.

"I suppose three snakes, it would be less filling and quicker," I answer curtly.

Sometimes I wonder is I should let my stoic exterior fade away. I try, at least when I'm with Jack. He doesn't deserve a father who wasn't there emotionally because without that support, he has nothing.

Y/N shakes her head, picking up some more pasta on her fork, "I knew you would say that. Always time efficient even when you're asked if you'd like a snake or a whale."

Amusement coats her voice and a savor it. I'm not sure if I'll ever hear it again anytime soon. "I'd assume eating a whole whale would kill you, three snakes is doable on a realistic stand point."

"That's not what you're supposed to say, dad!" Jack whines. I laugh.

"Jack you wanted my answer," I say, "It was a would you rather and that's what I'd rather do. Do you think a whale would be better?"