Chapter Three

"Hey! I found you." I whip around to find myself looking straight into a pair of deep blue eyes. Time to play innocent. I whimper and stand against the wall, curling away from him. The blue eyed person steps back a few paces, not fazed by the way I'm acting. Well, he clearly expected that. He moves back further a few paces. Only then did I get the whole picture. He is a handsome man with a masculine jaw line and strong nose. He has golden brown, long floppy hair that gave him a childish look. His jaw also spotted a day or two worth of stubble. I look down to his feet, yep, tanned. So this must make him Dauson. "I see you are up and about." Dauson's deep and boisterous voice replies un fazed. I just stand there, stuck to the spot, not quite sure what to expect or do. Who are these guys and why do they act so damn normal?

A loud crash thunders from upstairs suddenly, followed by the sound of running feet. I look up towards the stairs. I'm seriously scared for the sanity of these people's minds. Dauson looks at me with his blue puppy dog eyes with an expression that resembles a 'don't ask me.' A tall, pale, young-woman bounds down the stair, strawberry blonde hair bobbing. Her hair is artfully styled into a bob that frames her face with a block-fringe just barely covering her eyebrows. A spatter of freckles decorates her cheeks and nose, setting grey eyes off. Her eyes are grey, but something about her, something makes them sparkle. She wears a pastel blue sundress that compliments her ivory skin. A white ribbon winds down from her mid-calf, attaching to the sides of her white ballet flats. She runs right into me, squeezing the absolute existence out of my body. Her embrace feels comforting, like a tender and welcoming hug, encouraging me that the world is right. Why do I feel so safe around these people? She pulls away and looks me up and down, assessing me, as if she has to convince herself that I am real and not an apparition. My head begins to feel strange; as if something is pushing its way forward, telling me to look deep into its murky depths. I don't understand the feeling but I welcome it anyway, my instincts tell me to hold onto it. I grasp onto the feeling, heeding its warning. I instantly know it's important, a memory. I look into the depths of the memory, searching. The world grays out as another forms.

"Oh. My. God! This would look absolutely amazing on you! Come on! Try it on Evie!!" I hold out a blue sundress that has thin shoulder straps with 6 buttons going down to just above where the bully button would be where it then flows out in silky waves, stopping at the knee. Evie turns around from looking at the black floor length dresses she holds. I can never seem to get color on this girl. She's tremendously petite and pretty, but it's just black, black, black. "Alyssa..." She whines, "Its blue! I don't like colour." She starts shuffling through the black blouses once again. "OH come on Evie! just try it on, please. And if you don't like it I will never bother you again about it." To help my protest I look pleadingly at her. Evie and I break into laughter at the sour face she returns for me.

"Geeze! Come on, give me the dress, I will try it on." she says as I squeal and give Evie the dress. A while later she pops her head from behind the blue curtain and gives me a bright smile and starts to giggle. "Show me! Come on Evie... you said you would!" I smile lightly back as she walks out of the change room. We stand in front of the mirror and she stares at me. I stare right back at her as we both say, "Oh. My. God!" In unison.

"Evie!!!! You look AMAZING! You HAVE to buy that dress no exceptions." I stated giving her my best stern face I could muster.

"or else..." Evie laughed and walked back into the change room.

"Okay, I will buy it, only because it does make me look pretty sexy eh." we both laughed.

"Evie...?" I Say, shocked at the new discovery that this girl was my friend. More than that, she was my best friend. A memory... I remember something! Dauson and Evie stare at me, jaws open in an absolute state of astonishment. Loren decides that this was a perfect time to present himself and walks on in. "What's going on guys?" He says, completely unaware of the current situation. We all stand there in silence feeling a little awed and awkward. A memory... I think it's just intuition, but something is giving me a very strong feeling that these people aren't a danger to me. Especially after re-living a once forgotten memory, that obviously expresses the endearment Evie and I once shared. Maybe Loren was telling me the truth. Perhaps they truly aren't kidnappers. "She remembers Evie." Dauson explains still shocked. Loren looks back and forth between me and Evie with wide angelic eyes. "That's impossible!" Loren exclaims. I glance at Loren and my breathe catches. "Alyssa, can you remember me?" Evie asks, with eyes as wide as an owl's. "I, ah. We were in a clothes store..." My voice shakes. How long has it been since I've spoken? I can't believe it, I know this girl, but how? And why don't I remember anything else about Evie or these people? I know her and I know we were once close, but why can't I remember anything else? I want to know what kind of bad shit I did in my past to deserve this kind of karma! I need answers. "And you were looking at black dresses, I made you try..." I said pointing to the one she had on, "that one, and you thought it suited you. I guess you ended up buying it." I pause gathering the confidence to ask about the elephant in the room. "Uhm, why don't I remember anything else?"

No one spoke, I look at Dauson and his face is in an absolute state of bewilderment. Evie is smiling like a 6-year-old. While Loren looks like, well his face was just plain, no expression showing, what so ever. Well aren't you the life of the party. Evie hugs me again and gives me a tight squeeze before she lets go and says, "I think it's different this time."