Vengeful Memories Excerpt

Time lost its meaning long ago, the sun and moon became obsolete.

Dates and weeks became weeds in the garden; beautiful flowers of yellow and white, a beautiful idea but poisonous to its environment.

I close my eyes to the luminescent bulb that swings before my face, feeling it's heat radiating on the precipice of my nose.

The light lances through my eyelids and deep into my brain, forcing my body to stay conscious, pushing it to break.

As I feel my eyes flutter and body droop, I twist my hands to activate the electrocution mechanism.

A wave of electricity flows through my body as it arches and stiffens, locking into place until the automatic mechanism shuts off after its 4 second burst.

Just a little longer...

The air becomes thickly coated, it begins to be too hard to breathe as if the air is made of gelatine.

My body gently sways as it dangles from thick chains bolted to the ceiling. The thin and papery feel of my skin has me believe that my nerve endings have been cut down to and exposed.

I stare at the grit covered floors in an attempt to abate the silence within my mind. 1,2,3,4 ... 27 tiles form a lane from the tips of my toes to the base of the door.

If only...

Dread fills me as the light bulb shuts off and the screams begin.

Her tiny voice echoes through my mind, grating against my ears, filling my lungs with sand.

I force my eyelids to open, will my body to become my own again, to listen to me.

I can't! I'm sorry!

I'm just so tired.

The shrill cackle of a woman intertwine with the pleas of the girl.

I'm so sorry I'm falling asleep; I can't help it! I'm trying to open my eyes, to keep them open...

I just can't.

I open my mouth, jaw cracking, tongue lolling out in disuse. I swallow the grit that covers my throat, trying to summon saliva to my mouth.

"Please..." I breathe out, breathless.

"Please."