Chapter Ten

I focus on Dauson's body language showing obvious signs of equal amounts of frustration and surprise. I fix my stance into a fighting one, left foot forward, my right tucked behind, ready to bounce and move swiftly. Left hand up in front of my face ready to attack and defend, right hand guarding my torso. I raise my brow in cockiness, practically asking for the fight. Dauson looks between Loren and me in absolute shock, Loren simply shrugs and helps Evie out of the pool, while I smirk at Dauson's indecisiveness. "I'll try not to be too hard on you." Dauson chuckles, suddenly deciding to finish what he started.

 As soon as he set himself up in front of me in a similar stance I blocked the chirp of the birds, the blaze of the sun, the worried glance of Evie and the smooth calculation of Loren. I focus in on Dauson again and breathed in deeply, in a moment I had darted in front of Dauson. I place my cool hands on the base of his neck and pull his face towards my oncoming knee. A loud crack ensued and the feeling of a hot liquid streamed down my leg. Let's test how quickly angels can really heal. I release Dauson from my grip and watch him stumble backwards slightly in confusion as he clutches his nose. Without any warning I leap forward with my left foot, snatching the front of his shirt with my left hand as I double jab his cheekbone with the heel of my right palm. With this Dauson seems to have snapped out of his daze. I back off and return to my stance ready to feel his vengeful assault. Dauson stumbles towards me still clutching his nose warily. Suddenly his arm swings into my peripheral vision, I bend my knees quickly and lean backwards to feel a gust of wind swept past the very hairs on my chin. 

Taken aback by the trick he pulled I realise I'll have to play dirty to catch him off guard again. Keeping my face guarded with my left arm, I flick my wrist out to strike the heel of my palm between two ribs on his right side, I successfully wind Dauson momentarily and use this to follow with a quick jab at his collarbone with my left palm. Just before my palm impacts Dauson grabs my wrist and stills my movement. Instantly he spins me around and effectively locks my arm behind my back and pulls me towards his body. He uses this opportunity to lean down and whispers into my ear in a terrible Chinese accent., "Young grasshopper remembers much from our lessons." Without missing a beat, I turn my head slightly and downwards so the back bone of my head is directly in line with Dauson's suspected broken nose. With a loud thwack Dauson lets go of me and we both face each other again in our stances. Dauson stares at me with curiosity, his eyes twinkling in the mid-day sunshine while I stare back proud of my achievement to catch Dauson unaware again. Once again he decides to attack first and aims to tackle me from the right. Abruptly the world tilts and wobbles, everything seems to have slowed down, the world becomes deadly silent, Dauson barely moves as I realise milliseconds tick by. What the hell is happening. 

I decide I can figure this out later and use this to my advantage. I notice the placing of his feet, his back foot isn't following his front, signifying a change in his direction, to come at me from the left at the last moment. Always playing dirty I see. I chuckle to myself at his obvious weakness. I begin to sprint towards Dauson's right and the sounds of the world hit me like a train, everything has sped up again. Ignoring the sudden change, I drop to my knees and slide across the sharp grass at precisely the same moment Dauson feigns from my right to come at my left. I place my hands in front of me along the passing grass, cutting my hands with razor like precision and kick my leg out towards the now confused Dauson. Not realising where I'd disappeared too or noticing my out stuck leg speeding towards his defenseless ankles, a loud thud fills the air as Dauson face plants into the ground. Still sliding forward, I use the momentum to swing my leg back towards my body and spin to face, the now sitting up, Dauson in a low crouch on the ground. Dauson swiftly turns around to face me, his eyes burning with fury, like bright hot embers in a stormy blue sky. Dauson nods my way as if to say 'we both know who will win this', meaning he.

 I peer down at my bloodied hands contemplating my next move while basking in the glory of another one of my successful attacks to catch Dauson unaware. A gush of cool breeze sweeps across my heated body, propelling the beads of sweat backwards, across my skin. I look back at where Dauson was sitting to find it the patch of grass empty of him. Now just as confused as he when I disappeared I search the backyard to find only Loren and Evie shaking their heads and rolling their eyes. Then I hear it, the faint whoosh-beat whoosh-beat like a large bird's wings hovering above the ground. Bloody Angels. I feel the soft caress of the wind and instinctively train my eyes above me and into the beautiful clear sky. Dauson's gorgeous tan skin and golden hair shine in the sunlight; his taut abs and body drew my immediate attention. I catch my breath. Dauson's wings. Dauson's wings are a sight to behold, pure white, tinged with electric blue on the tips of every feather as if to compliment his already stunning ocean blue eyes. I lose my breath for half a second at the utter beauty he exudes, which obviously was the desired effect Dauson wanted. Before I know it I am pinned to the ground with Dauson straddling me as he holds my arms above my head. Palms face towards the sky, one wrist over the other I try to wrestle out of his grip but my feeble attempt only causes grip them tighter, like a noose around a neck. "Now, will you listen to me?" Dauson says breathlessly as he retracts his wings, "You sure know how to keep an angel on his toes, and that's hard for a mortal to do." Dauson's mouth turns into a small smirk that makes his eyes twinkle with amusement. Just as he was about to say more, I interrupt, "Well we've definitely concluded that I'm not normal Dauson." I state chuckling.

 I slowly raise my head up, observing his smiling lips. I skim his now healed nose with my own and feel the stickiness of the fresh blood that poured out of his nostrils earlier and peer into his penetrating and intoxicating blue eyes. As soon as Dauson began to peer into my own entrapping eyes he leans his forehead down to touch mine, enthralled by my gaze. I arch my back slightly to gain more height, to be mere inches from the curves of his tantalizing mouth. In the distance I can hear someone coughing. I start to wonder what it would be like to kiss him but quickly dismiss the thought. I speedily change direction and lean toward the right side of his head and nibble on his earlobe, a soft sound, cross between a moan and a whimper escapes Dauson. Quickly I turn my nibble into a bite and into a hard one at that. Dauson yelps and loosens his grip on my arms instinctively, just enough for me to twist my hands slightly to have my palms facing the ground. I grab hold of Dauson's arms and buck my body, lifting Dauson off my hips and flip him over my head. As he connects with the ground I can audibly hear the oxygen rush out of his lungs. I push off the ground with my legs and use Dauson's arms to twist in the air and land on his stomach to sit astride him. Again, Dauson's breath expelled his body in a surge as I land. Waiting a moment to let him catch his breath I lock his arms behind his head, so if he desires to moves his arms he'd have to shift his head out of the way first, tipping me off. Both of us breathing hard I let a small victorious smile play across my lips.

"Well done grasshopper." Dauson says defeated.