Chapter Fourteen

I continue to figure out this door that's keeping me away from Blaine. Evie is still talking through the recent fads, celebrities, music, tv shows. While Dauson has been testing out my skill and knowledge of the martial arts. Loren and I have been close, he tells me about the great things we used to do, how we even planned on moving to the city to start university. At the end of each conversation we always end the same, lying in each others arms late at night, just being with each other, just holding onto every moment we can. Despite the seemingly perfect life, some things are still keeping me awake into the hours of the morning. I still don't understand why I live in a house full of angels. Did I have a falling out with my parents? Even if I did, why would Evie, Dauson and Loren take care of me? Wouldn't they want ask question about this elusive roommate? My parents? Wouldn't they want to meet them or call them at least? Yes, they are Angels and probably only need to check in with their own higher up, God. But still, wouldn't they call them about everything that's happening? Maybe I should call them.

I take my time walking down the stairs concentrating on my thoughts. I notice Evie watching some television show that we started the other night and decide to plonk myself on the sofa next to her. She puts the TV on mute and looks at me expectantly. "Yes darling?" Evie asks. She has always been able to tell my moods. "Evie, it's been weeks and no memories have surfaced about how I got here. I was 18 when I disappeared and just about turned 19 when I returned. I was found in a ditch with no memory and only the phone number of you. No family. Why? Why are you here? Why am I here? Why do I live with you? Why in god's name was I 18 with no parents or family around? I took a deep breath, "I need answers." I give a penetrating look into Evie's eyes, pleading, needing these answers that I crave.

Evie places her hands over mine that lay in my lap.

Evie was returning my stare with sad, doe-full eyes. I turn to my right suddenly sensing more than one presence in the room and notice that Loren and Dauson have conveniently walked into my rant. They both peer frightened at me and Evie and begin to slowly back away. "Oh no you don't." I blurt out, knowing I need them to gather a full picture. "You feather boys better get your wings in here and sit the hell down." I smirk at the nickname. I like it. "It's Storytime." I say, adding a tone of ferocity to really hit the point home. Dauson places himself on the floor while Loren sits on the armchair to my left. We sit in silence for what felt like the longest minute until I realised I was going to have to push the topic further.

"Well? You all heard what I want to know." I take my time at giving everyone a small glance. "Why not start from the beginning. Tell me about me. What do you all know about me." I ask, hoping that this small request will lead to something.

Dauson raises his eyes to Loren as if silently asking a question, Loren nods.

"Liss, we cannot tell you why we are here but we can tell you who you are and why you're with us. If that will help put your mind at ease." Dauson pauses, looking at me.

"Okay. I understand heaven business and all I guess right?" I say chuckling at how absurd that sentence sounds coming out so normally.

Loren laughs with me, "Something like that I guess." He says slyly. Dauson starts again, "We don't know much but we will tell you what we do know. We were new to this town on purpose. For, as you put it, heaven business, we had to pretend to be high schoolers. That's how we met you. You lived with a roommate but they ended up wanting to sell just before your graduation, so we offered to let you stay here until University accommodation was arranged." He smiles at the memory.

Loren continues, "We have no idea who your parents are Alyssa, you never talked about them and we never asked. You said you moved here to Saria when you began high school and that's all.". I take a shaky breath. Well I guess that sort of answers the parent situation and why I live here, considering we went to a state school, I assume I probably ran away at some point or another. "I'm so sorry this has happened to you Alyssa." Evie says squeezing my hand, "We all are." Eve stops suddenly, she stares off as it just remembering something. "You did have a long distance relationship with someone though." Evie says thoughtfully. My stomach flips at the thought of Blaine. I must have trusted them enough to spill that piece of information. I ponder on the thought of seeing if I told them anything more about Blaine that may get him found out. I'm not entirely sure why I feel the need to protect him. Although, I feel as if I am shielding not just Blaine from being discovered, but also these three angels from Blaine as well. I peer up at Evie. "Although you never talked about him either, except that he had already graduated school some time ago and worked for a big company that forced him to be away." Evie says cheekily. I almost roll my eyes at myself at the deplorable efforts of keeping Blaine a secret. The description would describe any angel.

Something nudges at my heart, I look towards Loren who hasn't contributed anything in a while. He was facing me although he was looking at something to the side of my body, jaw locked, eyes glistening. He must have noticed my attention as his eyes flickered in my direction but as soon as we reached eye contact, he averted his gaze and became even more stoic.

"So where's this supposed boyfriend of mine?" I ask needing to find out if I truly was that terrible at hiding things. Dauson and Evie cross looks and then shrug at me. So I am not as naïve as I thought. "We have no idea Alyssa, he never showed up looking for you and we've never met him. So we had no choice but to leave it." Evie squeezes my hand again in apology. "I couldn't imagine any guy who'd go out with you and not come chasing after you as soon as he could." Dauson says jovially, trying to lighten the sudden dim mood. "He must have been a bit of a jerk than." Dauson adds, scrunching his nose. I laugh; I couldn't help it; I laugh so hard I begin to cry. It felt good to know people cared. They were the ones who cared for me while I slept for months and made sure I was comforted while I walked around as a memory-less shell. They truly and full heatedly cared. Evie hands me a tissue; I smile kindly back at her as I wipe my eyes carefully.