Dress

Summary: Louis unwittingly makes fun of something Harry is insecure about.

Request (kind of) from Sraddamx

-

It's beautiful. It's beautiful and simple yet elegant, and it feels silky smooth. The way it looks like it would hug any silhouette in the most flattering way makes Harry curious about what it would look like on him. The black silk dress is almost soft, and Harry thinks he would look hot in it. He slowly takes the dress off of the hanger and starts to turn to look in the mirror, until...

"Hey babe." Louis' nonchalant voice makes Harry jump and almost toss the dress back into the closet.

"You scared me," Harry admits. He glances at the dress, which is now in a black, silky, beautiful pile on the floor.

"Sorry," Louis chuckles. "Whatcha doing?" He wonders, following Harry's gaze to the dress on the floor.

"Um, Gemma left a few things here when he was staying with us." That is not a complete lie; Gemma had left a few things when she spent the weekend at Louis and Harry's house. However, those things happened to be a book and a pair of glasses, which Harry returned to her yesterday.

"So you're just gonna leave that on the floor?" Louis jokes.

"No, I, um, I dropped it. I'll pick it up now..." Harry rambles, still flustered from getting walked in on. He tucks his hair behind his ears as he bends over to pick up the dress, then hangs it next to a short plaid skirt, which is also Gemma's. She originally bought the two items online, but they were too big when she tried them on. So, Harry offered to "return" the items for her. To Harry, "return" is his own little code for "I'm going to keep these and try them on when I'm alone."

"Anyways, Niall invited us over for drinks. Wanna go?" Louis asks, brushing off Harry's awkward, yet not uncharacteristic, attitude.

"Um, sure," he softly agrees. He smoothes his hand over the dress before sliding the closet door shut. He follows Louis to the front door, but his mind is left in the closet with the items he is dying to try on. All he needs is a moment alone...

-

"Drinks with Niall" turns out to be a small party with about ten of Niall's friends. They all sit in the backyard around a bonfire, drinking various alcoholic beverages and relaxing and talking. The outside world around them is dark and mostly quiet, so Harry is forced to converse with everyone.

"Oh, Niall, before I forget." Louis sits on the edge of his seat to talk to Niall, who is three seats away from him. "Before we came, I saw Harold eyeing a dress." He speaks with curiosity and mischievousness in his voice, like he is telling Niall something they both have been speculating. Harry's heart stops and his brows immediately furrow; what does Louis think he is going to accomplish by telling Niall this in front of everyone? Niall chortles at the news, looking out into the still night for a few moments before turning back to Louis.

"It was only a matter of time," he playfully hums.

"Hey," Harry whispers, tapping Louis' shoulder to get his attention. "What was that all about?" He sternly asks, trying to conceal his hurt.

"What?" Louis wonders. "Just talking to a friend."

"You do realize there are like, ten other people here who don't need to know the information you so carelessly blabbered on about?"

"Come on, Harry. Lighten up! It's not like we don't know you're a little feminine," Louis says.

"You're just drunk," Harry mumbles in an attempt to convince himself that Louis doesn't mean it.