A Baby Boy

Summary: Nine-months-pregnant Harry did not expect to start his day with a grocery run and end his night with a hospital visit. Life likes to keep you on your toes that way.

This is my third mpreg chapter sheeesh 😵‍💫

-

Louis loves telling the short story of the first thing he did after the band went on hiatus: he got his husband pregnant. During the first trimester, Louis was elated, while Harry was anxious and nauseous more days than not. In the second trimester, Harry began feeling Louis' elation, and he started to feel more like his normal self again.

In the beginning of the third trimester, Harry swears he could order Louis around all day and the older boy wouldn't complain once; he just wanted Harry to focus on growing their baby. Whenever Louis would tell Harry to sit down so he could cook for him or put the groceries away by himself, his request was met by small utterances from Harry, quietly complaining about not having any independence. He appreciates all his husband is doing for him, of course, but he just wishes he would kindly back off a bit. Pregnant people are not broken or helpless, and they can still do things on their own.

After a whole week of being too pampered and not having to lift a finger, Harry showed Louis just how unbroken and not helpless he still is on one important night. Now, the boys are back to their usual dynamic, still with a healthy dose of pampering from Louis.

-

Whenever Harry has the energy, he goes into the basement and exercises in the home gym. He decides to walk on the treadmill, since his doctor told him walking could help with contractions. Harry isn't quite sure what contractions feel like, but he is assuming they feel like the dull ache in his lower back and abdomen that have made an appearance this morning. He also isn't sure how many more quiet, well-rested mornings he will have, so he is soaking this one up as much as he can.

After showering and seeing Louis still asleep, he quietly pads back downstairs to make breakfast.

"What are we hungry for this morning?" Harry quietly asks his baby as he rubs his bump. "Oatmeal and fruit sounds good." When he opens the fridge to grab fruit and almond milk, he is met with a scarcely stocked fridge--there are no berries or almond milk in sight. Harry supposes this is what he gets for letting Louis do the grocery shopping. "I guess we're going to the store, bubba," he says as he looks down as his rather large bump.

-

Harry feels almost invisible as he carries his grocery basket to self-checkout. His baggy black hoodie underneath his brown chesterfield coat swallows up his bump, and his black baseball cap lowers him down to the same level of anonymity as everyone else in the store.

"Do you need any help carrying all those bags?" A stranger asks as Harry is about to leave the store. Harry turns his head just enough to see the scraggly looking man a few feet behind him.

"No thanks," Harry answers. He makes it outside and takes two steps into the parking lot before he registers footsteps behind him.

"Are you sure? You shouldn't be carrying all those alone, especially in your state. Let me help you." The man suddenly appears beside Harry and tries to take the bags from his left hand; he is too close to Harry's baby for his liking.

"Please," Harry firmly says, stepping away from the man, "I'm fine." He begins to walk faster to get away from the man, not even stopping to breathe through his bout of small contractions. "We're almost to the car," Harry whispers, not that his baby can hear him but he feels the need to whisper small reassurances anyway. "We're almost back to Papa." Harry loads the grocery bags into the backseat as fast as he can, then locks himself in the car and races home.