A Tangled Web✨

HIStory Era

Your fatigue-rimmed eyes stared longingly out your bedroom window, bright rays of the early morning sun burning a warm glow on your blanched cheeks. The freshly cut grass smelt sweet and the tomatoes you'd planted in the garden had turned a bright vibrant red were plump and ready to be picked.

On an average day you'd get up early, pluck them from the vine and wash them up for afternoon lunch but lately, every day had been anything but an average day.

"Wanna have breakfast outside this morning?"

The sound of your husband's sweet voice caused you to tear your gaze away from the window, a small smile tugging at the corner of your lips.

"How did you guess?" You questioned, slowly sitting up against the headboard.

Michael grins as he sets himself on the edge of the mattress. He grabs hold of your hand and your fingers feel icy and numb in his caress.

You'd once loved the way holding his hand felt but your brain seemed to no longer be able to send those messages to your body.

"You're my other half, Y/N," your husband replies. "I know you better than I know myself. How do you feel today, baby?"

"The usual- exhausted," You sighed wearily. "But hey, it's better than being dead,"

Two months prior, you'd fallen very ill. You suddenly felt very tired and it became difficult to perform simple everyday tasks. Your hands would go numb when you'd try to put on your makeup or cook. You could no longer complete your daily walks through Neverland, stricken with fatigue and dizziness. You were forgetful, slothful, and clumsy and you couldn't figure out why.

Your brain wanted to do things but your body simply would not cooperate.

You'd convinced yourself that you were a bit run down and that some rest would serve you well but when you woke in a hospital bed, you knew things were far more serious.

You'd suffered an epileptic episode that had been triggered by a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis.

The illness had damaged the covering of your nerve cells causing a disruption in communication between your brain and your body. Your body had betrayed you and was attacking itself, in turn, robbing you of your ability to function.

You were a prisoner to a body that you no longer recognized.

You were devastated by the diagnosis. You were so young and had a husband and children that you could no longer take care of yourself. You felt lazy and useless and were unsure of how your illnesses would affect your family life.

Michael had stood by your side during it all. He'd been caring, understanding, and attentive and took great care of you. While your condition was unfortunate, you had to be thankful for such a wonderful husband.

Michael flashes a sympathetic smile before placing a kiss on top of your hand.

"Aww, baby. You're a fighter. I just got word a while ago that the nurse is headed over,"

You gasped and pushed the duvet away from your legs.

"Oh, I forgot! I know I look a mess,"

You'd recently talked Michael into hiring a live-in nurse to relieve him of some of your caregiving duties. He'd released an album last year and still had promotions and obligations to complete. Michael had sacrificed so much to make sure you were looked after, you didn't want to hold him back any longer.

"You're beautiful, baby," he grins as he stands to his full height. "Let's get downstairs. The boys are probably getting antsy,"

You grab hold of your cane leaning against your nightstand as Michael helps you out of bed. When you've settled on your feet and gained your balance you stretch on your toes, planting a kiss on his soft lips.