Waiting Games ✨

Bangerous Era

"This is it," 

You smoothed your hands over the sparkling, emerald green fabric as you eyed your reflection in the mirrors, admiring the way the dress hugged your figure.

"It's just perfect, Kelly!" You beamed, giggling as you spun around in the dress. "Just imagine what my next dress will look like,"

Your friend chuckles, gently shaking her head full of shiny, thick brown hair at your giddiness.

"For the price that dress cost, I'd marry you myself," she quips.

You sigh wistfully, placing your hands on Kelly's shoulders.

"This is it, Kell. I just feel it. Tonight is the night that I become the future Mrs. Michael Jackson. I've never been so sure of anything in my life,"

You'd said the same thing three dresses and three years ago but this time you were completely confident that your suspicions were correct.

They had to be.

It had been five years to the date since you'd started dating mega popstar Michael Jackson. Like most women, you were crazy about him but you were the one of millions that had captured his heart.

Michael was everything you dreamed of in a man and more. He was handsome and caring, loving and gentle, sensitive and dependable- the perfect balance of tenderness and testosterone.

As wonderful as Michael was, your relationship did have it's ups and downs like any other couple, especially when you found yourself being pushed aside in favor of his career. Still, you loved Michael and would make any accomodations you needed to to stay by his side.

You stuck through the tours, rumours, late nights in the studio and rabid fans and had a wonderful relationship to show for it but there was one thing that was missing-

A band of gold.

By the end of year one, you were certain that you wanted to spend the rest of your life with Michael but felt it was too soon for wedding bells, especially with your boyfriend working on an album. At year two you'd discussed settling down and having kids but still no ring. Year three you'd moved into Neverland and expected a ring along with your key. Year four had been a waiting game.

Tonight the two of you would celebrate half a decade together and you were really hoping the night would end in a proposal.

Kelly sighs.

"I sure hope so, Y/N. I mean, I couldn't imagine waiting five whole years for a man to give me a wedding ring. I'm not as long stuffing as you,"

You pull away from your friend with a frown. Kelly wasn't always the most optimistic, especially when it came to you discussing your yet to be fulfilled dreams of marriage with Michael.

"I'm not long suffering," you huff, glancing at your reflection in the mirrors again. "I'm just patient. I don't want to rush Michael into anything,"

Kelly rolls her green eyes.

"If five years is rushing then I'd hate to see what taking it slow looks like for him. C'mon, Y/N, stop making excuses for Michael. You're an absolute catch and he's treating you like a concubine. You two are practically married already. Just go to the courthouse and sign the papers,"

You suddenly feel angry and embarrassed. Kelly had not been the first to make this observation. Your mother had said the same thing when she visited Neverland for Thanksgiving and never approved of your shacking up in the first place.