Somethin' Stupid✨

Bad Era

The big brown eyes, accentuated with thick black eyeliner, sparkled across the room. The corners crinkled in the most endearing, innocent way but you knew there'd be nothing but trouble once they finally met yours.

The room was crowed, compressed arm to arm with all the big names in music. Hearty laughs and jittery conversations reverberate off the walls. Crowds never bothered you, it was him that made you feel fidgety and girlish.

He sends you a gentle nod before expertly maneuvering through the crowd, protectively gripping the iridescent, prism-shaped trophy he'd been awarded earlier in the night. Upon his acknowledgment, you feel a violent warmth sting your cheeks as approaches.

"Y/N," he speaks softly, flashing that brilliant, mesmerizing smile. "you look beautiful."

Bending gently, he presses a chaste kiss to your cheek that ends too soon for your liking, a free hand pressed warmly against the small of your back.

You grin, leaning away to get an up-close look at him. His look has certainly changed from before. His hair was longer. Lose curls falling just below his eyebrows that now had a sharper, precise shape that showed off his eyes nicely and his skin glowed with a caramel hue. He was wearing buckles and leather.

The image was different, but you knew that he was the same old Michael.

"Michael," you exclaim, pressing a hand to his shoulder. "You don't look too bad yourself. Look at you- buckles, leather- you've really got this bad boy thing down to a science. And it's a great album."

He chuckles and you can't help but think that everything fiber of his genetic makeup seems musical.

"It's alright," he replies. "what are you up to these days, girl?"

His question leaves you with a wistful sigh thinking of all the time that's passed.

You and Michael had a rather complicated history. You were industry acquaintances, having run in the same circles for years. You'd shared mutual professional friends and were constantly bumping into one another. You weren't exactly friends but throughout the years you'd been very friendly with one another.

It was very complicated.

There was undeniable chemistry between the two of you since the moment you'd met. It was often hard to try and curtail your flirting and banter and the fact that Michael was painfully handsome didn't help much either.

The problem was that the two of you had jobs that demanded a lot of traveling and hardly enough time to get to know one another. Messing around while you were in town was fun for the moment, but feelings could easily get involved.

"I'm still in agency," you reply. "the 80s are on their way out. Everyone's searching for the next big trends and the next big act. It keeps me busy. And you? World tour wrapping up?"

You'd followed bits of Michael's Bad Tour in magazines. It was your own way of keeping up with him. He changed his number quite frequently.

"Yeah," Michael grins. "I'll be glad when that's over. Touring is hell."

You roll your eyes.

"You make it look so effortless, though."

"Don't embarrass me, Y/N."

He bites down on his bottom lip and you feel the flushed feeling returning. There's a beat of silence between the two of you and you scan the room already knowing where the night is headed.

"Did you come with anybody?" you question slowly.

At the last AMA's you'd attended, you'd bumped into Michael with Brooke Shields. You had to admit, you'd felt blindsided and painfully jealous at the sight of them. They looked great together.