Style Of Life✨

Jacksons Era

"Ooo, right here! Right here!" You exclaimed as the taxi came to halt in front of the upscale looking apartment building.

You grinned to yourself, the feeling of excitement you'd contained all during your plane ride had come bubbling back up in your stomach as you paid the cab fare and collected your luggage. Here you were in the city that never sleeps, ready to have the time of your life with one of your favorite people in the world.

It had been a few months since your best friend Michael had moved to New York to prepare for his movie debut in Motown's adaption of the Broadway musical, The Wiz. While he was very busy, the two of you still kept up regularly. Michael often expressed to you just how much he missed your company and admittedly, you missed him too. So as soon as you got a break from your college courses, you took the soonest flight out to the Big Apple.

You couldn't wait to see all the sights, lights and people but you were excited to see Michael most of all.

An early Autumn chill greeted you as you stepped into the complex, your heart pounding wildly against your chest. Michael had told you stories about what life was like for him in the city but you would finally get to see it for yourself. The concept of Michael living alone in his own apartment, if you didn't count his older sister, LaToya, was interesting, to say the least.

The elevator ride seemed to take forever but soon enough you were at his doorstep, hardly able to contain your elation as you rapped your knuckles against the wooden door.

"Who is it?" a familiar boyish voice calls from the other side.

You smirk to yourself.

"Your landlord," you reply playfully, deepening your voice for full effect.

The door takes longer than you expect to come flying open and you almost think Michael has fallen for your prank but once you catch sight of his bright grin, you suddenly feel at home.

"Y/N!" he exclaims, pulling you against his slender frame.

You drop your bags at your side, giggling softly.

"Well, this is a nice greeting. I expect nothing less."

You pull away briefly to get a good look at your best friend. In the months that had passed, nothing had seemed to change. Michael was still Michael. Same big brown eyes that even Bambi would envy, that bright infectious smile. His eating habits appeared to remain the same as he was still as thin as ever, the only thing that seemed to change was the floppy, voluminous fro on his head that had gained height.

"Girl," Michael speaks, giving you a once over of his own. "I've missed you."

You grin.

"I'm glad to see you, too, Mike. You haven't changed a bit except I think your head got bigger or maybe your waist got smaller."

He rolls his eyes a hint of a smirk on his lips as he grabs the luggage at your feet.

"Clearly you haven't either," he jerks his head, gesturing to the interior. "Get in here."

As you follow Michael into the apartment, you can't help but let your eyes wander. The place is spacious, a penthouse style that's terribly contemporary with a perfect view of the city's skyline.

"I'm jealous," you gasp, shrugging out of your jacket. "I could only dream of this type of space in my dorm. It's like a hotel. All you're missing is a housekeeper."

"Toya does all of that stuff," he grins. "For the next two weeks, mi casa es su casa."

You giggle.