Dream Deferred✨

HIStory era

You beamed watching your husband with pride as he dotted over each child, his attention bringing life and color to their pale, ailing faces. Your heart feels full and you couldn't love him any more than in this exact moment.

While vacationing in Hungary, you and your husband Michael had stopped by the Children's Hospital to spread a little light and love to the small children who were fighting for their lives daily. It was a thing that Michael had always enjoyed doing and you enjoyed tagging along just as much. In all his wealth, he was grandly generous and was always willing to go above and beyond for those less fortunate than him. It was a quality of his you'd always admired.

"I promise, I'll do whatever I can to get him a liver," Michael spoke on the ride back to the hotel.

At one of the hospitals, Michael had grown particularly fond of a little boy who needed a liver transplant. Seeing the boy's big eyes and yellowish face had deeply moved him and knowing that the proper treatments were unavailable in the country moved Michael to take some action to save the boy's life.

His heart was so big.

You grab hold of his hand, a small smile forming on your lips.

"I love you," you grin. "You're such an amazing human being."

He smiles, brushing his thumb against your knuckles, briefly fiddling with your wedding ring.

"I appreciate it, baby," he speaks softly. "But it's simply not about me, ya know? It's bigger than me. I'm just a medium to execute the work."

He was so modest.

"I know," you reply, placing a chaste kiss to his jaw. " But I still admire your spirit. Those kids- they adored you. They're drawn to you like magnets."

"I think they liked you too,"

A sheepish tint of pink stains his cheeks and you grin at his bashfulness. The man who had performed in front of hundreds of thousands of people around the globe still managed to get shy whenever showered with individual attention.

"Yeah. But not the way they liked you,"

You think back to the afternoon, sweet visions of Michael holding babies and telling stories to small children on his knee. The sight of it all had awakened in you an intense desire.

You were positively stricken with baby fever.

You and Michael had been married

 for nearly a year, still practically newlyweds and had yet to become parents. The absence of a child in your family unit was almost bizarre considering how much both you and Michael adored children. Most of your friends and family had expected you to conceive within at least the first five months but the announcement had yet to come.

Starting a family was a dream you'd both expressed before marriage, but you'd never put a time stamp on it. For the past nine months, you'd simply been reveling in newlywedded bliss and hadn't given it a second thought.

Until today.

***

You starred outside the grand hotel window observing the beautiful, picturesque view of the city of Budapest, a cup of tea pressed against your palm. The streetlights below twinkled like tiny stars and a cool night breeze caressed your face.

You were happier than you ever could have been. You were married to an amazing man you were madly in love with and treated you well, but suddenly, you were beginning to feel that something was missing.