Somewhere A Place For Us✨

Thrad Era

"Michael, how far are we from the car? I'm getting tired." You huff, struggling to follow your lanky, long-legged boyfriend who appears to be miles and miles ahead.

Michael ignores your complaints, happily bopping along the barren path under the shade of his large umbrella.

"Baby, there's still so much more to see," he assures you excitedly.

You only sigh in bewilderment, wishing you could see everything Michael was seeing.

After the major success of Thriller, Michael had gone back into the studio to work on his next album. The long, spontaneous hours of creativity had cut into the quality time you'd grown accustomed to spending together and it had been months since you and Michael had a proper date. A few days prior he promised to take you to a special location. Trusting of his ever-romantic nature you hadn't questioned a thing but now you were starting to feel tricked. So far, the two of you had been walking for more than 30 minutes and you couldn't figure out what was so special about this place. All there was to see was endless fields of grass and trees.

"Like that bush we saw a mile back?" you retort. "Oh yeah, foliage is so riveting."

Michael spins around to face you, a playful grin settled upon his lips.

"Girl, where is your imagination?" he points a finger to his left. "right over there, a petting zoo with every kind of animal. Llamas, tigers, lions, peacocks- "

"Don't you already have all that at Havenhurst?" you question.

"Imagination, Y/N,"

You groan as Michael precedes to skip down the path, hardly giving you enough time to keep up with him. You can't decide if you are amused or annoyed by his strange behavior. You would have been much more content with a quiet dinner at your place than whatever it was that Michael had planned.

You away wipe the beads of perspiration that cling to your forehead with the back of your hand as you trudge up a steep hill. You spot Michael standing on top, an effortless air of statuesque serenity in his stance. You can't help but smile, knowing the beautiful man on the hill is yours. It was difficult to stay mad at him for long.

Michael stretches out his large hand and pulls you up with him, draping a protective arm around your waist. From the top of the hill, you notice how beautiful the land around you is. You stare out into the horizon in silence, a sudden cool breeze passing over you.

"Right there," Michael speaks, pointing vaguely to the right of him. "I want a huge amusement park. Carousels and Ferris wheels with lots of lights that twinkle and glitter in the dark and all the popcorn and cotton candy you could ever want. Right inside my own backyard."

You giggle at his childlike fantasies but still find yourself perplexed.

"You'll get really sick, Mike," you speak pointedly. "You can really pig out."

Michael huffs in feigned offense, leaning over to sponge a kiss to your temple.

"Hush, baby."

You wait until your laughter has died down to asks the question that's been bugging you since you've arrived.

"Michael, what aren't you telling me? What is this place?" you ask.

His large, lovely ebony eyes meet yours.

"I want to live here, Y/N," he replies.

You furrow your brows in confusion. Sure, the property was beautiful, but it seemed to be smack dab in the middle of nowhere.

"But what about Havenhurst?" you ask. "it's beautiful. Lots of space and a nice neighborhood. And all your family is there."

Michael sighs.

"I've lived there for so long, Y/N," he replies. "I'm a man now. I need my own space. A place I can truly call my own. Someplace that can really feel like home for me."

"I think I get it," you respond. "you need to leave the nest. Spread your wings and fly."

"It's more than that," he speaks softly. "I just want a place where I can be away from everything for a change. Truly be myself, overcompensate for the childhood I never got."

Staring out at the fields of grass, you find yourself deeply saddened by Michael's deep longing to recapture his childhood. Suddenly, you feel guilty for griping before.

"You deserve it, Michael. I hope it's everything you ever hoped and dreamed of."

"It's nothing though if I'd don't have anyone to share it with."

His worlds send a rush of butterflies swarming up your spine and you have to look away from his electric gaze as he twists you into his embrace.

"Dearest, Y/N," he starts softly. "I want to build a life with you. I want to see you by my side first thing in the morning and right before I close my eyes at night. I want to sing in the shower with you and slow dance in the living room with you and chase after our ten little brats til our backs ache and our bones have gone brittle."

You grin, feeling a sudden sting of tears in your eyes at the sweetness of his words.

"Are you sure about that? I mean, you've heard me sing, Mike." You quip.

"Y/N" he grins. "I don't care about your singing. I'm asking you to marry me."

Marry me.

The two words send you springing with joy and disbelief. The man you most admire, the man you couldn't imagine a day without has just asked you to spend forever with him. You couldn't be happier.

"Is that a yes?" Michael presses, his bright smile never faltering.

"Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes."

The single word is the only thing you can utter before you clasp your mouth to his.

"Yes," you whisper against his lips. "Of course, I'll marry you, Michael."

His ebony eyes glitter with joy and you'd never seen him smile so big and brightly. Your arms fly around his neck in a chaotic fit of giggles as he twirls you around, dropping his umbrella in the process.

"This is our home. This is our paradise, baby."