Chapter 23

This time it was Colin Creevey, a muggleborn first year from Gryffindor who had an odd passion for taking photos of Harry Potter.

The school was in a flurry of panic, people buying and trading so-called 'protective devices' against the monster of Slytherin.

Percy had contacted Chiron about this Slytherin monster but apparently the immortal centaur had nothing because the closest was Medusa and she only turned her victims into stone.

On a positive note, in the second week of December, Professor Snape came around, as usual, collecting names of those who would be staying at school for Christmas. Percy and the gang signed the list. They didn't need to worry about Slytherin's monster because 1. They're Slytherins and 2. They're purebloods.

A week after Creevey's certification, the dueling club was announced.

"So?" Rigel says dropping gracefully into one of the many armchairs in the Slytherin common room "should we go and take a look?"

Percy shrugged "As long as that peacock of a man isn't the one teaching I say we go"

Apparently, he doesn't have much luck as Lockhart was indeed teaching the class.

The long dining tables of the great hall hadvanished and a golden stage had appeared along one wall, lit bythousands of candles floating overhead. The ceiling was velvety blackonce more and most of the school seemed to be packed beneath it, allcarrying their wands and looking excited.

As they waited for the professor to arrive Percy's thoughts wandered, he couldn't help but think of Annabeth who had sent a letter long after the last one. She had written about Luke Castellan and he hadn't disappeared but was muttering in his sleep about Romans and also the Gods had closed off as Zeus felt offended that he hadn't accepted the immortality offer.

Percy wonders why Zeus is still king.

Realizing that he was fidgeting Percy tried to still himself and ran a hand through his already messy hair trying to smooth it down when Lockhart came swaggering up and down the dueling stage. As he was not really making an effort to actually listen to the man it was quite a surprise when he heard professor Snape being called up.

"Now, I don't want any of you, youngsters, to worry – you'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him, never fear!"

Percy nearly snorted, if this was an actual duel there won't be much left of the defense professor once Snape is through with him

Lockhart and Snape turned to face each other and bowed; at least,Lockhart did, with much twirling of his hands, whereas Snape jerkedhis head irritably. Then they raised their wands like swords in front of them.

"As you see, we are holding our wands in the accepted combativeposition," Lockhart told the silent crowd. "On the count of three, wewill cast our first spells. Neither of us will be aiming to kill, of course."

"I wouldn't bet on that," Percy murmured, watching Snape baringhis teeth.

"One – two – three –"

Both of them swung their wands up and over their shoulders.
Snape cried: "Expelliarmus!" There was a dazzling flash of scarlet lightand Lockhart was blasted off his feet: He flew backward off the stage,smashed into the wall, and slid down it to sprawl on the floor. Many of the Slytherins and the male population cheered while some girls looked concerned.

Percy scoffed and left the great hall Rigel following behind him. Dueling club my arse

The days passed by without much incident or embarrassment, the only important thing that happened was Justin Finch Fletchley getting petrified along with nearly headless Nick, the rumors began and they said that Harry was found on the scene.