Chapter 30

Eventually, the sorting was finished and all of the students were sorted into either Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, or Slytherin as was the norm. The older students waited for Dumbledore to make his speech so they could start eating. Dumbledore smiled as he walked from his seat and stood in front of the head table so he could greet the school.

"Welcome!" said Dumbledore, the candlelight shimmering on his beard. "Welcome to anotheryear at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I thinkit best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast..." 

 Dumbledore cleared his throat and continued, "As you will all be aware after their search of theHogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the Dementors of Azkaban,who are here on Ministry of Magic business."

 "They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds," Dumbledore continued, "and while theyare with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementorsare not to be fooled by tricks or disguises — or even Invisibility Cloaks," he added blandly, and Percy saw Harry and Ron glanced at each other. "It is not in the nature of a Dementor to understandpleading or excuses. I, therefore, warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harmyou. I look to the prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runsafoul of the Dementors," he said. 

Dumbledore paused again; he looked very seriously around the hall, andnobody moved or made a sound. 

 "On a happier note," he continued, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks thisyear.

 "First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the DarkArts teacher." 

There was some scattered, rather unenthusiastic applause. ProfessorLupin looked particularly shabby next to all the other teachers in their best robes. 

"As to our second new appointment," Dumbledore continued as the lukewarm applause forProfessor Lupin died away. "Well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care ofMagical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with hisremaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other thanRubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeepingduties." 

Dumbledore gestured to Hagrid just as the majority of the hall - especially the Gryffindor's - began cheering for him. Hagrid waved but stayed seated until Professor McGonagall nudged him, he stood up, unintentionally pushing the table forward.

"They're making that oath a teacher?" Rigel whispered with disbelief. Percy did not reply, he didn't really have anything against Hagrid. He knew that the man knows his magical creatures, with that being said Percy was not sure if the guy would make a good teacher. Until he found out he would hold back on judging. 

"Well, I think that's everything of importance," said Dumbledore. "Let the feast begin!"

 The golden plates and goblets before them filled suddenly with food and drink. Percy, suddenly ravenous, helped himself to everything he could reach and began to eat. 

It was a delicious feast; the hall echoed with talk, laughter, and the clatter of knives and forks. Percy felt slightly smug showing Rigel his headboy badge (Who just rolled his eyes) and flashing it against Wealsye (Who looked ready to explode)

When the feast was over, Percy whispered to each of his friends. "When I come back from patrols, wait for me in the common room."

They looked confused but nodded. 

So at midnight, when Percy, Rigel, and Coraline came back from his prefect and headboy duties, his girlfriend was waiting for him.

"Well," Diana said tapping her foot impatiently. "What do you want to show us?"

Percy grinned before he suddenly transformed into a black wolf with striking green eyes.

"Bloody hell!" Rigel exclaimed as he jumped back in his seat in surprise. "Percy?"

"You're an animagus?!" Coraline gasped as she looked at Percy while Diana stared at him with dropped jaws.

"Woof." Wolf Percy barked before he laid his head on Diana's lap, who slowly reached down and stroked the back of his head.

"Wow, he's so soft," Diana said to the others.

"Oh, can I pet you?" Coraline asked in a hopeful voice, Percy tilted his head before he nodded. The girl smiled and reached down before she gently began petting Percy. After several minutes of this Percy transformed back into his human form and shook his head.

"Show-off," Rigel said as he playfully nudged Percy's shoulder.

"When did you become an animagus?" Diana asked disbelief in her voice at how Percy casually showed that he had mastered such an advanced piece of magic.

"Over this summer," Percy replied with a grin on his face. "it wasn't actually that hard, just very tedious. The first transformation hurt like Hades but the ones after that were fine. Anyway, to sum up, the animagus transformation was tiring and long but not that hard. The first transformation was painful and the second one less so but now I can do it easily."

"Why a wolf though?" Coraline wondered.

"The same reason why Rowena Ravenclaw chose an eagle as a mascot and not a raven," Percy answered. "I don't know."