Chapter Thirteen

The next morning, the two S.H.I.E.L.D agents and three Avengers, boarded the Quinjet to set off back home. There was an uncomfortable silence, YN still reeling about the prior night's findings. She was tucked in the corner of the cabin, headfirst in a case file.

Sam, Bucky and Steve watched her from the other side of the cabin, faces the epitome of worry. They had urged Jonathon to steer the jet in case YN wanted to talk, but it seemed she was content to ignore the three men's presence.

"Has she spoken to you at all about what she found?" Sam asked sadly, shooting another glance at where YN sat with a blank stare. 

"Nothing," Steve sighed. "I can't believe she hid it from me." 

"It was some pretty personal stuff, disturbing, but personal, man." Sam said, wincing as he remembered the images the three of them had found late last night after YN's retreat back to the spare room. 

"Do you think she's okay?"

"Just let her be for now. We will chat to her back at the compound." Bucky murmured. They all agreed, and their conversation turned light, however each man kept an eye on YN as she continued to stare blankly at the file in her hand.

"So," Sam started, small smile turning on Steve. "Last night's events aside, how are you two doing? Are you going to go public?"

"I think YN wants to keep it on the down low for a while. She's worried the little respect she gets from the male agents will be diminished altogether." Steve sighed, angry that he couldn't hold her hand because of egotistical men.

"I get that. So, no rubbing it in Sharon's face then?" Bucky laughed, watching the corner of Steve's mouth tug upward.

The jet landed and the five occupants lumbered off, carrying their belongings with them. As they exited the elevator to their floor, Sam and Bucky entered Sam's room together and Steve split off to his own room. As he unlocked his door, he looked behind him and saw YN hovering where the halls met, chewing on her still busted lip.

YN looked up and met Steve's gaze, he sighed sadly as he watched tears well up in YN's eyes. Her lip, now bleeding, trembled as she contained her sobs. Steve nodded to his room, YN passing him as she entered, hovering in the center of his room awkwardly.

"You can talk to me." Steve whispered after he had placed their belongings down, bringing the shaking agent to his chest.

"I had nightmares. And it's sick 'cause I don't know if they're nightmares or flashbacks. God it makes me feel fucking nauseous." Steve ran his hand up and down YN's back, her body shivering beneath his touch.

"C'mon, let's have a nap." Before YN could protest, Steve interrupted. "I will stay awake and watch you, I'll wake you if you start having a nightmare. I promise." YN searched the captains blue eyes before her tiredness won out and they made their way to the bed.

Steve must have drifted off after a few hours, when YN made no show of having a nightmare, as he awoke to an empty bed. Startling himself into a sitting position, his eyes landed on a note sticking off of YN's pillow.

With Fury. Meet you there when you wake up. -YN x

Steve smiled, hoping YN was opening up to the man she saw as a father. Lifting his one hundred year old body from the bed, he changed into some casual clothes and left the room. Knocking on Sam's door, he waited for his friends to join him in the hall, before they all made the trek to the top level.

As they entered the room, what he saw shocked him. Steve expected Fury to be comforting an upset YN, or at to be interrupting a heart to heart. Instead, YN was in full tactical gear, watching the screens with her hands on her hips, as Jimmy, the compromised police officer, sat in the interrogation room. Bucky and Sam exchanged a small frown, wondering too what was happening.