Chapter 17

"Take your hand out of your pocket, Ward." YN said, hand rested on her thigh where a knife was located.

Grant narrowed his eyes, flicking them between the two forms in front of him. "As you wish." Lifting his hand from his pocket, what followed made YN and Steve freeze. A military grade grenade rested in Grant's palm, the HYDRA agents thumb hovering within the pin. "This grenade has been rigged to blow anything within a half a mile radius. That means each of these buildings will go with us." Grant grinned; eyes wild.

"Ward, please. You don't need to do this." YN pleaded, lifting her hand from her weapon.

"Oh, YN. Still as naïve as ever." He tutted. "I heard through the grape vine that you put a bullet in Julian's head. Bet that made you feel really powerful." He snarled, taking a step toward the other two alleyway occupants.

YN stared in shock, realizing what he was insinuating. "You know." She took a breath as he nodded. "You've always known." YN felt sick to her stomach at the thought of her past with this man. "After everything we- you knew what they'd done to me?"

"I didn't just know, YN. I watched." YN sobbed, tears flooding to her eyes as she fought to keep her emotions in check.

"I was fucking ten, Ward. Ten." She exclaimed, swallowing around a lump in her throat. "You fucking disgust me." She then growled, sadness melting into anger. "Heads up, Stevie." She let out a shout, fingers wrapping around her knife as she threw it at the opposite man's wrist. The pain in Grant's wrist from the knife landing there caused him to drop the grenade, consequently releasing the pin. Luckily, Steve caught wind of her plan and he had barreled to the other man, catching the grenade and reefing the pin from Grant's bloodied hand amidst his screams, replacing it back into the shell. Handing the bomb over to YN, Steve placed cuffs around Grants hands, making sure to be extra harsh as he ripped the knife from his wrist, releasing a screech from the dark-haired man.

Making their way back into the street, Grant in tow, they noticed Natasha pulling up in a sleek black SUV, Sam and Bucky pulling up in another. YN opened the back door of Nat's vehicle, shoving Grant onto a seat, before slamming the door with a huff.

Steve approached YN slowly, resting a hand on her shoulder, startling her from her daze. "Come on, we will ride back with Bucky and Sam." YN nodded, her emotions bubbling inside her, ready to break down her walls.

"Can we... talk when we get back?" She whispered. "I really need to talk to you." Steve nodded, apprehensive about why she was insisting.

Back at the compound, YN and Steve parted from the group as they headed to take Grant to a secured room. As they entered YN's room, Steve turned to close the door. Spinning back around to face YN, he suddenly had an arm full of the young agent, her face pressed firmly against his t-shirt. Steve wound his arms around the shorter woman, missing the feeling of having her in his arms.

"I'm sorry." YN mumbled into Steve's shirt, tears leaking slowly from her eyes. "About telling you to go. I should have told you how I was feeling but instead I just pushed you away. I'm not really good at talking about my feelings." She finished, lifting her head to stare into the captain's eyes.

"I shouldn't have pushed my own views onto you. I should have been more empathetic, especially so soon after the fact." He paused, lifting a hand to push away a strand of YN's hair. "I've missed you so much, YN."

YN couldn't wait any longer, lifting onto her toes to plant a kiss on Steve's lips, Steve groaning at the contact. The older man's hands trailed from the small of her back to her hips, pressing roughly into her jutting bones. They then trailed to the underside of YN's thighs, lifting them to wrap around his waist.