Chapter 3

The young princess would be sent away to the moth's keep once she reached a certain age and she would wait in the highest room of the tallest tower for her true love and true love's first kiss.

"Yeah like that's ever gonna happen." Alastor laughed in a mocking tone when he finished re-reading the final paragraph of the storybook that he had been accustomed to reading for years. There were times where he was almost tempted to burn the book but it was among the very few items that existed to remind him of his mother. Well at least, half of it reminded him of his mother. The other half reminded him of how naive, superficial, and foolish the world could be. Expecting honorable heroism, loyal friendship, and true love to conquer all. Once upon a time, he might have believed the notion that honor, friendship, and love would lead to happiness but sixteen years of living alone had taught him to know better.

"What a load of wacky nonsense!"

Somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me,
I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed.
She was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb
In the shape of an "L" on her forehead.

The now adult Alastor placed the story book back on the shelf where it usually stood then exited his house to begin his day, following the usual schedule. First he would begin bathing in a nearby creek, after that he would get dressed and sharpen his antlers, then he would hunt for his breakfast and spend the lot of the day working on his latest project which would hopefully establish better privacy on his property which he very much cherished.

Now his property wasn't exactly what one would call a big, bright, beautiful world. In fact it was dark, gloomy, and terrifying. The trees were black and misshapen to resemble nightmarish demons from Hell. The ground lacked grass, substituting brambles and thorns in it's place.  The creatures seen in these parts were nothing cute or fluffy or friendly; Frogs, toads, snakes, hornets, bats, crows, and wolves. Hard stones and sharp rocks were nearly everywhere you stepped in this area, not to mention the few bones and carcasses of dead animals scattered about. Yes indeedy, nothing bright or beautiful about this place at all.

Well the years start coming and they don't stop coming,
Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running.
Didn't make sense not to live for fun,
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb.
So much to do, so much to see
So what's wrong with taking the back streets?
You'll never know if you don't go,
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

But nevertheless this world was all Alastor's. His land. His home. The only thing that he could call his own and the only place where he could be tucked away, all alone...

Which was just the way he liked it.

Hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play,
Hey now, you're a rock star, get the show on, get paid.
And all that glitters is gold,
Only shooting stars break the mold.

Alastor had grown content with living by himself and away from all else who existed in the world. He learned to stay in the dark like his mother instructed and he learned to be happy in the dark. He learned to be happy that he was fated to be lonely and destined to be hated. After all, according to the story books, that's why he was created. And he figured that being liked was grossly overrated anyhow. Who needed friends and love? Friends were just enemies under false pretenses and love, he couldn't even think of love without going into a laughing fit. Why may you ask? Because as far he was concerned true love didn't exist.

It was nothing more than an illusion used to lure fools into a marriage for either money, power, or beauty. Vanity and greed in disguise, a sham, a fantasy. Something that only happened to beautiful people like lovely yet vain princesses who wanted a good-looking hero and handsome  yet greedy princes who wanted to become king.