Chapter 40

"You are beautiful my lady." Niffty the seamstess remarked to Charlie. "Probably the most beautiful princess there ever was."

Charlie smiled kindly at her.

"Thank you."

"Do you like your gown? I do hope that I made it just as you had wanted."

"The gown is perfect. I love it. Thank you for making it."

"You're welcome but if you are pleased with it, why do you appear so sad?" Niffty then pulled a handkerchief from her pocket, using it to lightly wipe the tear stains on Charlie's cheeks. "I'm not a smart woman but I know the difference between tears of joy and tears of sorrow."

Charlie had not noticed that she had even been crying until that moment.

"Now, now, you can tell me."  Niffty said. "I'm a good listener and an even better secret keeper."

Of course Charlie didn't tell Niffty everything. She didn't tell her what happened to her after sunset, but she did confess that her heart yearned for another man.

"Frankly I'm not surprised." Niffty said. "I highly doubt that someone like Vox would be any woman's ideal husband. Unchivalrous brute, he has no idea how to treat a lady. Why he even insults my work. Hmmph! Well I'd like to see him try to make a dress."

Charlie would have giggled at the comment if she didn't feel so sad. 

"I tried to tell the one I love how I felt but he...He was so cold to me and...He hurt me so much and I was so angry that I..." She gasped when it finally occurred to her that in her pain, she had made another mistake. "I took my anger out on a good friend. I said unforgivable things to her...Oh how could I? I'm so ashamed. She had been nothing but good to me and I hurt her for no reason."

"There, there, my lady." Niffty comforted. "I'm sure she knows you didn't mean it. We all say things we don't mean when we're hurting. I'm sure if you find her and apologize she'll forgive you. As for your sweetheart, well...I'm not sure how to handle that. Men are stubborn and they find it hard to share feelings."

"I just...I just don't know what to do anymore." Charlie said. "I feel like I'm caught in a tidal wave and being pulled out to sea."

"The sea leads to many places, my lady. Perhaps you'll wash ashore to somewhere better." She gently grasped the princess's hand, despite the fact that such a bold move would be conisdered disrespectful. "That's why stories like yours are still told. To remind us that even in our saddest times, happiness can still be found."

The seamstress's kind words brought a soft smile to Charlie's face.

Knock-knock!

"Who is it?" Niffty called.

"I have a wedding guest here who wishes to speak with the bride alone." The servant on the other side answered.

"But the ceremony will begin soon." Niffty replied.

"It's family."

"Family?" Charlie thought confused. "But my parents are gone. I don't have any family left."

Yet her curiosity was peeked. She allowed the guest to enter and Nifffty left her alone with him. She did not recognize the man who stood before her, but he seemed to recognize her. Or rather recognize her resemblance to someone he knew. His body was trembling and he looked almost afraid to speak.

"Charlotte?" He dared to hope. "Princess Charlotte of the Ninth Kingdom?"

"Yes." She confirmed. "Do I know you sir?"

"No. We've never met. But I so wish we had."

A smile rose to his face and he fought back the tears swelling in his eyes.