Girl Meets Smackle

"Ancient Greece" Riley points at the present Mr

"Ancient Greece" Riley points at the present Mr. Matthews was holding.

" What that? What that that?" She asks

" What thi-this?" He mimics her, pointing to the present.

"This is a present."

"Is it for me?" She asked while Maya and I shared a suspicious look.

"What's your game, Matthews?" Maya and I asked in unison.

"Game? I mean no game. I just want to know who here wants this present." He said and everyone raised their hands except Maya and I.

"Oh, you two,what? You assume by playing hard to get, I'm gonna give it to you?" he asked us

"Well, yes. That's one of the many arrows in my quiver." I said making Farkle shudder.

"Medieval talk-- What are you doing to me, woman?" He asked and I just shook my head with a small chuckle.

"Riley." Her father says as he hands her the present.

"Yay!" Riley opens the box and much to her disappointment, it wasn't a real present like I suspected.

"The Trojan horse?" She reads with disgust, I snorted.

"Surprise." He said with a big smile and Riley just looked at him like she wanted to kill him.

"This isn't a present. This is one of your life lessons wrapped up in a class lesson wrapped up in a box of nothing." Riley rants

"How you doing, honey?" Maya asked her

"I'm all worked up." She huffs

"We know." I said as she puts back the frame into the box.

"You assumed because it was all neat and pretty that something good was inside. Ancient Troy was protected by walls. The Greeks couldn't get in, so they built a big wooden horse and left it behind. What do you think the Trojans did?" Mr. Matthews asked

"They left it there because they were afraid that somebody was trying to teach them something." I stifled a laugh, only Riley.

"They captured it as a trophy and brought it inside. That night, the Greek soldiers crawled out of the horse and defeated Troy. What have we learned here?" Lucas raises his hand.

"Mr. Friar." "Don't make assumptions based on what you see?" Mr. Matthews looked over at Riley

"Riley, listen, I'm sorry I made an example of you. So here's a gift for you." he says

"Ooh-- No! I want to-- No! Pretty ribbon-- No!" The fact that she is even having self conflict about this scares me.

"I'll take my chances with that, sir." Lucas says, suspicious...

"No, Lucas. You have to assume it was no good because the first one was no good.  Aren't you all proud of me, dad?" Riley asked with a smile.

"No!" Lucas starts reading the card.