5 | First Date

CHAPTER FIVE

- The two things in life you have total control over are your attitude and your effort -

~~~~~

Nicolas

I sat down for the evening meal, watching as many of the girls filed in and smiled in my direction. I politely said hello or waved to each of them as they found their seats, still getting used to the fact they would be staying here for a while.

My sister Lilliana was adamant about sitting away from the girls, nervous of all the newcomers and rightly so. It was nerve wracking, despite how calm I was trying to remain.

My spot was at one end of the long table, with my sisters on either side of me and my parents opposite. The girls then filled all the space to our right.

Food wouldn't be served until everyone arrived and several of the girls were late. A few sat down in new dresses and fresh hairstyles, but I didn't think meal time really required any extra effort.

Most of the seats filled, apart from one and I wondered who was missing. I looked around but couldn't pinpoint who wasn't here, as I wasn't used to all their faces.

A maid approached me, coming over to my chair, "Excuse me your highness." She whispered to gain my attention only, but a few curious heads turned my way.

I leaned out towards the maid, "Yes?"

"There is an issue with one of the girls sir. Would you like us to start without her?" She asks in a whisper.

"What kind of issue?" I question, unsure about her tone.

"She's refusing to come and eat sir."

I nodded once before pushing back my chair and standing, causing all eyes to fall on me. I thought best to see what was wrong before starting a meal. It would be rude to leave someone out.

My mother looked at me and I motioned quickly I would only be a moment, before moving away from the table. I gestured for the maid to lead the way and she did without hesitation.

We went out of the dining room, walking to the preparation area just through the side door.

As I came through I noticed Samantha arguing with another one of the maids who was quick to stop bickering with her when I approached.

"Samantha?"

Her eyes went wide as she spotted me, but she had already looked upset. I had no clue what was going on, but is clear there was some disagreement between her and one of the maids.

"What's the issue?" I asked, looking between Samantha and the two maids around me.

The maid at Samantha's side curtsied quickly, "I'm so sorry your highness. She was refusing to sit down for the meal."

Samantha ducked her head, looking ashamed, "I just needed to wash my hands."

"You already did miss. Four times." The maid bit back, clearly frustrated and unaware.

This must have been her OCD. I suddenly felt bad, seeing the clearly embarrassed look across Samantha's face.

She looked hurt, not meeting anyone's eye as she turned her gaze to the floor. I hated when people were sad like that, but it pained me more to see her look so ashamed.