36 | Betrayed

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

~ The saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from your enemies ~

~~~~~

Nicolas

"Isn't this exciting?"

"No, not really." I say honestly to my sister, having attended dozens of palace hosted balls over the years. This one was no different, being paraded around and having every eye on me.

Yet I would face more scrutiny today than ever. With my big decision to make. I just felt more nervous than I did excited.

"The final three! Come on. You're so close making the big decision." Lilliana says excitedly at my side.

"I suppose." I tell her with a hopeful smile, "Are we ready to head in?"

"Yep." Avery says cheerily, unlike her. She usually despises these events. I look to her curiously.

"You're excited for this?"

She smirks up at me, "Diego's here. Of course I'm excited."

"Oh, right. Forgot about that." I say honestly too caught up with my own affairs.

"This really is different." Avery says as she looks at us. "Now we all are partnering up. Right Lil?"

She nods, "That's true."

"I invited Scarlett you know." I say to her and I swear her eyes light up.

"Really?"

I nod, "Mmhm. I thought I told you."

"You didn't, I would have remembered. But thanks Nick." She gives me a hug from the side and I squeeze her warmly.

"Alright, Let's go." Avery says with a laugh breaking us up and pulls us forward through the doors.

~~~~~

"Miss Eliza Kumar."

I waited for each of the selected to be announced, watching the door closely.

Eliza was dressed in red, bold and certainly beautiful. Her gown was elegant like I'd assumed it would be, and she glided across the floor to greet me once she came out.

"Nicolas, looking dashing as ever."

"Eliza." I say as she blows me an air kiss, not wanting to ruin her perfectly shaped red lipstick.

"Isn't this a wonderful ball. Does this lovely event act as a setting for you to pop the question?"

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves Eliza." I say honestly, grinning at her smug look.

"Well at least I get once last chance to dress up like royalty." She adds, twirling in her big red gown.

"It's been a pleasure having you here Eliza."

She gives me a curtsey cutely before going off to mingle with a wave over her shoulder.

"Have a good night." Is all I manage to say to her before she disappears into the crowds of people.

"Miss Samantha Kingsley."

Samantha is next to come out, dressed like a real princess in a light blue gown that puffs out as she walks. Her blonde hair was shining gold down her back, along with her bright smile as she wandered through the crowd towards me.

"Prince Nicolas." She gives a deep curtsey, ever so polite. I was nervous to see her after last night. We hadn't spoken since she left my room so abruptly and I was worried I'd upset her.