34 | Cute Couple

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR

~ I'd be his, if he asked ~

~~~~~

Kalisa

Samantha and I were left back at the palace as Nicolas was out on his date with Eliza. It was an odd sort of arrangement, being alone with just one other girl. We didn't have much else to do other than speak with one another, as all the other selected were gone.

I'd grown so used having the bustle of girls around. Always chatter and girls being taken away for dates.

It's weird to imagine actually going on from here. In a few days we will know. Whether I stay here with Nicolas, get married and become his queen. Or if I have to somehow go back to my normal life.

Somehow being at the palace though was starting to feel like a new normal for me. And the thought of going back home at this point scared me. As much as I loved my family and my home country, I was growing to love Nicolas too.

But there was still Eliza and Samantha.

Samantha was lovely. She really was. Always with a genuine smile and kind word.

But I didn't like to think about her with the guy I was falling in love with. It scared me, that I might not be the one chosen in the end.

If Eliza won, I could find reason to dislike her. I found fault in her blunt confidence. But Samantha? I couldn't hate her. She was one of the kindest people here.

"Did you want another scoop?" Samantha asks gently, pulling me from my thoughts. I turn to her and see she's offering the fruit salad spoon towards me yet I shake my head.

"I'm ok. Thank you though."

"Alright." She set down the spoon and resumed her seat opposite me.

I glance out the palace windows, at the sunshine outside, "I wonder what Eliza's doing on her date. Did Nicolas mention where he was taking her?"

She shakes her head, "No he didn't."

"Damn. Where did he take you?"

"He'd set up this beautiful hot air balloon." Samantha says and hesitates, clutching her bracelet, a sign of nerves, "But uh, I kind of freaked out. I don't do well with heights."

"Oh. Were you ok?"

Samantha's anxiety was the only thing I could find as a reason she might not make it. But she was doing well getting this far. Especially with all the pressure of being possible royalty.

She nods, "Yes. Honestly Nicolas was so nice about it. And we got a perfect view of the balloon going up at this cute picnic spot he set out for us."

"I'm glad he was accomodating. Sounds like the day would have been alright then."

She nods and eats another mouthful of her fruit salad.

I sigh and rest my elbow on the table, leaning my chin on my hand.

"What did you get up to?" Samantha asks.

I hadn't seen her yesterday because she was out, so I was yet to speak to her about my date the day before. I did talk to Eliza briefly, because she'd been keen to pick apart what I'd done, but we didn't spend much time in each others company.

"He took me ice skating." I say with a smile, the memory now a fond one, "I had a lot of fun honestly."

"Oh that sounds awesome. Can you skate?"